Rand Warner 1951-1952

  • Walt Danylak
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2001
      This part 2 of Rand Warner's journal notes. Enjoy.

      1951

      On Saturday, January 30, 15 cars (including the flanger) were brought
      in and 14 were taken out, 10:30 and 11:00 respectively. #30 was in
      the shop as usual. This time it was a leaking fuel line. #21 took the
      flanger to Broadalbin at noon. Business is booming on the FJ&G now.

      During the months of August and September, the gas car, #340,
      remained in the shop. When she finally emerged, she was aglow with a
      new paint job, rolling on a different set of wheels and toting the
      markers from one of the scrapped steam engines. She was quite a
      sight. While the gas car was being painted, a baggage car was rented
      from the NYCRR, and pulled by #20. It served well.

      During the last half of October, extensive work, admittedly needed,
      has been done on Denning's Crossing. The summer combine, #22, is now
      being reconditioned.

      1952

      February 9 – Large diesel is pulling #340 on mail run in morning and
      evening (#340 snapped crankshaft). Large diesel is pulling combine on
      mail route at noon. Small diesel switching and taking Broadalbin
      mixed. #21 handling freight to Fonda.

      One of the large diesels jumped the tracks at 11th Avenue, on the way
      to Broadalbin during February, not serious.

      Week of June 15-22 quite busy. James Strates Show came in with 35
      cars Saturday night and left the following Sunday morning. Capitol
      District Railroad Club had fan trip on Sunday, June 22, 115 people
      aboard. Old tool car is in sad shape. There is talk of making a new
      one from coach #17. Now the talk has it that one of the combines will
      be used because cutting a door in #17 would weaken it, and other
      extensive work is needed. Broadalbin line is in bad shape, but there
      is evidence that work is to be done. Bells of 8, 9 and 11 are in
      machine shop. Some work has been done on the Gloversville station.
      FJ&G is operating shuttle service from Scotia to Schenectady, well
      liked compared to Schenectady Railway bus service. Caboose #1 has
      just been painted, June 22.

      September 17 – One of the big diesels is off the track by Martin
      Drischel Leather, after spreading 300' of track. Gas car is in shop
      for annual overhaul. Diesel 30 is out of service because the fan went
      through the radiator. One diesel is left to run the whole railroad.
      Fan trip this Sunday for the Elks Club.

      September 27 – Broadalbin train annulled. Diesel hit at Denning's
      Crossing on the way over by a car. Train was disabled and had to be
      towed home.

      FJ&G sold Sacandaga Park during the fall. 17 acres were sold.

      Walt
    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 29, 2001
        This stuff is priceless! as well as interesting lot's of good book stuff
        here as well!!!
[...]

        Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
        http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/

        http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

        in New York State at
        http://ny.existingstations.com/

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2001
          > ----------
          > From: Walt Danylak
          >
          > This part 2 of Rand Warner's journal notes. Enjoy.
          >

          > 1952
          >
          > February 9 - Large diesel is pulling #340 on mail run in morning and
          > evening (#340 snapped crankshaft). Large diesel is pulling combine on
          > mail route at noon. Small diesel switching and taking Broadalbin
          > mixed. #21 handling freight to Fonda.

          I take it the large diesel he's referring to is either 20 or 21?
          The small diesel must be 30?

          Great stuff, can't wait to see more!