Electric Division - Limited vs. Accommodation

  • Glenn Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 27 9:17 AM
      We've all seen the sign boards on the sides of the Electric
      Division's interurbans reading either "Limited" or "Accommodation,"
      where the former signified express (limited stop) service and the
      latter was local service.

      My questions: what stops were made by Limited service? Did
      Accommodation runs stop at every named station? [I suspect the
      answer to the latter is 'yes' but have drawn a blank on the former.]
      And did the distinction in the level of service disappear in the
      latter days of service?

      Glenn
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 28 7:09 AM
        Refering to the June 29, 1930 Employee timetable: For the most part the
        accommodations operated between Amsterdam and Schenectady, with Amsterdam
        crews, former Amsterdam Street Railway. The exception were two eastbounds
        from Gloversville at 5:02 and 5:57 a.m. and four in the evening at 8:03,
        9:03, 10:30 and 11:56, the latter appears to have tied up at Amsterdam.
        During the rest of the day only limited cars operated between Gloversville
        and Schenectady on the hour from 7:17 a.m. to 7:17 p.m. A note says that
        specified Limited trains will make Accommodation stops except Saturday and
        Sunday. Soooo... it doesn't look like there was much of a distinction
        except for the designation and type of car.

        I would say from looking at this time table that if you stood by a crossing
        and waved your hat as the car came along it would stop for you, irrespective
        of designation. It was said the steam road was that way except for the
        designated Park and Businessman (commuter) runs in the summer season.

        Probably not too much help but the more I delved into the timetable I
        realized there were a large number of exceptions. Of course at this time,
        1930, several small bus lines were doing there best to cut into the FJ&G
        business so it was to there advantage to pick up anyone who needed a ride.

        PKL

        Message 3 of 3 , May 1, 2001
          --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
          > [snip]
          > . . . it doesn't look like there was much of a distinction except
          > for the designation and type of car.
          >
          > I would say from looking at this time table that if you stood by a
          > crossing and waved your hat as the car came along it would stop for
          > you, irrespective of designation.
          > [snip]
          > PKL

          Paul,

          Thanks for the research. That's pretty much in line with what I had
          been thinking.

          Glenn