Gloversville Depot

  • jonathan_bunker@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 20, 2001
      Hey Walt, thanks for the info on the architect. definitely saved me
      some digging around!

      Jonathan
    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 20, 2001
        Jonathan if you find any records of his work let us know?? Thanks

      • skalbfel@ix.netcom.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 30 2:41 PM
          Re: I'm trying to figure out now how to get enough info to build the
          Gloversville Depot. (Oh, not as good as you would build it, but good
          enough to be the one really good structure on my HO layout).

          Saul Sez, unless someone can come up with a set of plans, it would be
          necessary to create a reasonable facimile from various photographs. A
          lot of the depot is based on Queen Anne architectural accents which
          were popular in those days. I started working on a plan a while back
          using the few basic sketches I have from the 1928 ICC survey. It would
          be awesome. Too bad about its fate. Of all the structures that
          Gloversville has lost over the years, that stands out as the greatest
          loss of all. Problem is that the citizenry at large has lost focus of
          what railroads were and still are, so its very difficult to generate
          grassroots interest in preserving anything. I guess the last remaining
          major structure other than the Coal Company of Fulton County coal
          trestle is the machine shop on West Fulton. Too bad. Did you ever see
          the timbers in that building? The main trusswork is all 12x12. I
          recently read that such wood is being reclaimed and if it is the right
          kind is sent out to sawmills to be processed into hardwood flooring.
          That wood is "old growth" timber that just doesn't exist any longer.
          Saul
        • 103424.2304@compuserve.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 30 3:25 PM
            --- In FJGRailroad@y..., skalbfel@i... wrote:
            > Saul Sez,
            > [snip]
            > Too bad about its fate. Of all the structures that Gloversville has
            > lost over the years, that stands out as the greatest loss of all.
            > Problem is that the citizenry at large has lost focus of what
            > railroads were and still are, so its very difficult to generate
            > grassroots interest in preserving anything.

            That's a recurrent theme everywhere, it seems. The Concord (NH) B&M
            depot was destroyed nearly 40 years ago, and people mourn its absence
            to this day. There is now a business proposal up for approval to
            remove the last buildings of the Concord Shops in order to put in
            businesses no one really wants in an area not really suited for them.

            > I guess the last remaining major structure other than the Coal
            > Company of Fulton County coal trestle is the machine shop on West
            > Fulton. Too bad. Did you ever see the timbers in that building? The
            > main trusswork is all 12x12. I recently read that such wood is
            > being reclaimed and if it is the right kind is sent out to sawmills
            > to be processed into hardwood flooring. That wood is "old growth"
            > timber that just doesn't exist any longer.

            When I worked in Troy in the early 90s, I prowled around the CCFC
            coal trestle, which increased my appreciation for the workmanship of
            that era. [Over here, when a barn goes 'tilt,' it's a race to see
            who buys the remaining lumber. Mine, which is 150 years old, is
            probably worth more than my house and land just for the beams and
            barnboard, for another trend is for intact barns to be disassembled,
            moved and reassembled elsewhere.]

            You raised an interesting point re: the size of buildings when
            modelled to scale. Any other short line would not have had a
            building as magnificent (and as large!) as the Gloversville depot.
            This is both a blessing and curse, as well as a challenge, for the
            FJ&G modeller. And which side do you model?

            Glenn
            Penacook, NH
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 30 4:00 PM
              Saul, there was a reasonable set of drawings of the station as part of the
              valuation files, as there were of all the other buildings. Do not know
              where the company files went but I know where there is a poor set of copies
              of some of the pages concerning the GOB. It would take someone with the
              patience of a monk to reconstruct the poor copies to useable diagrams. The
              detail is very rough and would require close matching with photos. But the
              measurements are given for all the major dimensions, which means that by
              counting bricks in the photographs a real nice plan could result. It is
              doable with time and patience and will be done eventually for a section of
              the book.

              PKL

              >From: skalbfel@...
              >To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Gloversville Depot
              >Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 21:41:41 -0000
              >
              >Re: I'm trying to figure out now how to get enough info to build the
              >Gloversville Depot. (Oh, not as good as you would build it, but good
              >enough to be the one really good structure on my HO layout).
              >
              >Saul Sez, unless someone can come up with a set of plans, it would be
              >necessary to create a reasonable facimile from various photographs. A
              >lot of the depot is based on Queen Anne architectural accents which
              >were popular in those days. I started working on a plan a while back
              >using the few basic sketches I have from the 1928 ICC survey. It would
              >be awesome. Too bad about its fate. Of all the structures that
              >Gloversville has lost over the years, that stands out as the greatest
              >loss of all. Problem is that the citizenry at large has lost focus of
              >what railroads were and still are, so its very difficult to generate
              >grassroots interest in preserving anything. I guess the last remaining
              >major structure other than the Coal Company of Fulton County coal
              >trestle is the machine shop on West Fulton. Too bad. Did you ever see
              >the timbers in that building? The main trusswork is all 12x12. I
              >recently read that such wood is being reclaimed and if it is the right
              >kind is sent out to sawmills to be processed into hardwood flooring.
              >That wood is "old growth" timber that just doesn't exist any longer.
              >Saul

            • Walt Danylak
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 30 6:28 PM
                Saul,

                I have a scale drawing of the 3rd floor of the station. While it
                doesn't help with everything, it does give window sizes, spacing
                and the different levels of the brick sides. Many of the windows are
                the same size regardless of where they were used in the station. The
                best way would be to make a few master patterns of the different
                windows and have them cast. This way all the windows would be
                identical.

                Walt
              • Richard W. Ryall
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 30 10:18 PM
                  What did they do with all the trollies now that we need them, in Salt
                  Lake City they have a new light rail system that is being expanded, oh
                  well if it`s old tear it down the world needs more shopping centers and
                  parking lots. dick

                • support@wordsystems.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 31 7:55 AM
                    Walt's Idea sound like a good one. Windows and doors are often the
                    hardest pieces to get right.

                    I have been looking at studying photos of the Gloversville depot and
                    making small sketches of parts of the building in an attemp to get
                    the proportions and roof projections right.

                    I have a long -17 foot- wall on which to place the model, and while
                    the location I have reserved for it is narrow (24") I think that
                    there is enough room.

                    Last summer my wife and I crawled around the Coal House, sketching,
                    photographing, measuring beams, and trying to capture the
                    construction details of the building and of the 2 trestles inside. I
                    was really impressed with the size of the timbers used, and the state
                    of preservation even after years of neglect.

                    My fear is that someday the county will come in and simply bulldoze
                    the building or use it for fire practice, or worse yet that it will
                    fall victim to arson. Then the Coal House will be replaced with
                    a "Modern, efficient" Butler style storage building which has all of
                    the architectural signifigance of a public toilet. ( except of course
                    for the 6" x 9" bronze tablet attached to the wall which will
                    read: "On this site once stood......")

                    Sorry about the cynacism!

                    Dan Owens
                  • Walt Danylak
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 31 4:47 PM
                      --- In FJGRailroad@y..., support@w... wrote:
                      ... Last summer my wife and I crawled around the Coal House,
                      sketching, photographing, measuring beams, and trying to capture the
                      construction details of the building and of the 2 trestles
                      inside. ...

                      Dan,

                      The November 1979 Model Railroader has an excellent drawing of the
                      FCC Co. coal house including photos. If I remember correctly, it was
                      300' long not counting the upgrade approach distance. It would make
                      an impressive model in any scale.

                      The Gloversville station is about 150' long including the covered
                      platform area to the north and about 35' wide.

                      I hope to model both to scale in S scale (1/64, 3/16" = 1'). The coal
                      house would be about 5' long and the station about 2 1/2' long. Some
                      day maybe.

                      Walt
                    • Joel Norman
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 31 5:48 PM
                        GLENN...Your the answer to a virgins prayer!!! Im a BM modeler who also
                        likes the FJG(having worked in the area for the E-L and CR)but Im a 99% BM
                        modler and I need any BM data you have on the old BM line from Gardner Ma to
                        Peterboro NH cira 1950(could use a xerox the Peterboro branch from a 1950's
                        BM ETT????)and a general idea of the customer base for that branch(switch
                        list wouldnt hurt)..ANYTHING????????
                        THANKS
                        JOEL NORMAN

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 31 6:20 PM
                          Joel, Do you have a copy of Bob Nimke's book on the Connecticut River
                          Railroads (actually there were maybe ten of them)? One is on the
                          Peterborough branch - lots of photos (Ithink diagrams also)and Bob was
                          interested in the industries served by the railroads about which he
                          published. He usually gave of synopsis of the traffic patterns and service
                          as well. I'm sorry I can't give you a better description of the volume and
                          it's material; most of my books and I are widely separated. Don't believe
                          he went so far away from the river as Gardner though.

                          PKL

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 1, 2001
                            --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "paul larner" <pklarner@h...> wrote:
                            > Joel, Do you have a copy of Bob Nimke's book on the Connecticut
                            > River Railroads (actually there were maybe ten of them)? One is on
                            > the Peterborough branch - lots of photos (Ithink diagrams also)and
                            > Bob was interested in the industries served by the railroads about
                            > which he published. He usually gave of synopsis of the traffic
                            > patterns and service as well. I'm sorry I can't give you a better
                            > description of the volume and it's material; most of my books and I
                            > are widely separated. Don't believe he went so far away from the
                            > river as Gardner though.
                            >
                            > PKL

                            Joel,

                            I second Paul's recommendation. Personally, I have little on the B&M
                            outside of some B&MRRHS magazines and books, two early 60s Official
                            Guides, and Bob Nimke's book on the Claremont branch.

                            Another source would be the Yahoo groups on the B&M. There are
                            several around, including at least devoted to modelling.

                            Glenn
                          • support@wordsystems.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 1, 2001
                              Walt:

                              Thanks for the info on the Model Railroader article, and especially
                              the dimensions of the Gloversville station. I was getting very close
                              to "counting bricks" in the photographs.

                              When we measured the Coal House, it was about 360' long. I estimated
                              that the HO scale model would be about 49" long. Avery large model ,
                              perhaps too large without modification, but worthwhile attempting.

                              Dan Owens

                              --- In FJGRailroad@y..., "Walt Danylak" <waltdanylak@c...> wrote:
                              > --- In FJGRailroad@y..., support@w... wrote:
                              > ... Last summer my wife and I crawled around the Coal House,
                              > sketching, photographing, measuring beams, and trying to capture
                              the
                              > construction details of the building and of the 2 trestles
                              > inside. ...
                              >
                              > Dan,
                              >
                              > The November 1979 Model Railroader has an excellent drawing of the
                              > FCC Co. coal house including photos. If I remember correctly, it
                              was
                              > 300' long not counting the upgrade approach distance. It would make
                              > an impressive model in any scale.
                              >
                              > The Gloversville station is about 150' long including the covered
                              > platform area to the north and about 35' wide.
                              >
                              > I hope to model both to scale in S scale (1/64, 3/16" = 1'). The
                              coal
                              > house would be about 5' long and the station about 2 1/2' long.
                              Some
                              > day maybe.
                              >
                              > Walt
                            • Joel Norman
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
                                PKL..........Nimke books never coved the the Peterboro branch as I have most
                                of them..
                                Joel

                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 2, 2001
                                  Hmmm. I thought sure there were photos in one of them of Peterborough. I am
                                  not near them so I can't verify. Also it is possible he covered P from the
                                  perspective of the Ashuelot through Keene and Elmwood Jct., and then again
                                  it may be in another book. I do recall when I saw the photos that it was a
                                  bit far afield from the Conn River and regretting not going over there
                                  during the years I was in Portland to photograph the end of service in that
                                  area.

                                  Sorry I can't be more help today.

                                  PKL