Re: HTML postings

  • Randy & Lorraine Decker
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 6, 2000
      Paul who is using HTML?? hope it is not me I have no idea what this means I
      use outlook express and I usually just hit the reply
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 6, 2000
        ONElist.com is adding the ads! You don't think they are going to doll out free mailing lists, right? That's where they make the benjies!
        Paul who is using HTML?? hope it is not me I have no idea what this means I
        use outlook express and I usually just hit the reply
        > A few of us are having problems with ads showing up with our FJ&G
        > Onelist postings. The problem seams to arise from people posting in
        > HTML and not in Plain Text Only mode. The ads get tacked on to the
        > HTML, then when someone replies to that posting, another ad gets tacked
        > on, and so on. last night I received one posting that was not that
        > large, but with three java script ads tacked on the end, was 9K. Until
        > we find out who is adding this to the postings, please refrain from
        > posting in HTML.
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Paul

        > Sign up for eLerts at:

        Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
        http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 6, 2000
          Hi Randy,

          Not 100% sure if you are actually using HTML when you post, but I have noticed
          that most (but not all) of your posts have been coming here in HTML. I'm
          beginning to wonder if Onelist has been changing certain postings to add their
          advertising. Amazing that now we are starting to complain about this stuff
          showing up (again) and it disappears again! This probably isn't you, we had
          this problem about a month before you were even on the list.

          If you look near the bottom of this posting, you should see a onelist sponsor
          with a link "clickme.onelist.com/ad/gator4". This is where the java type ads
          have been showing up. This one is in Plain Text Only, but they have been
          showing up as 'ads in motion' which is actually an application running on the
          receiver's computer, not appreciated!

          Paul

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 6, 2000
            Hi Greg,

            We all have agreed that Onelist may send us ads, but nothing like this.
            Generally we receive the odd e-mail from Onelist once or twice a month
            as part of their 'Onelist Community bulletin board' which contains ads
            from their sponsors, and I have no problem with that. The problem I do
            have is when it starts taking five minutes to download one minutes worth
            of postings, and four minutes worth of advertising.

            Now I'm curious, did everybody receive Greg's posting in HTML with a
            couple of nice java ads for the Comfort Inn hotel chain, and one for the
            New York Times? They wont be on this one cause I'ma gona shut em down!

            Paul

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 6, 2000
              Allright PAUL!!!! I have only had one message from the group that took a
              long time to load but that was a few weeks back I have been getting the
              messages on the bottom at times but they load fast!

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 6, 2000
                Paul, there is a message attached to the message you sent to which I am
                responding. Does that affect your theory? What does HTML indicate.

                PKL

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 6, 2000
                  I believe you're correct. There ain't no free lunch.

                  PKL

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 6, 2000
                    Hey I got a free lunch once! but it was lousy!

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 6, 2000
                      Hi Paul,

                      HTML refers to "Hyper Text Media Link", essentially, fancy graphics that you
                      can add to "juice up" the looks of you e-mail. If someone was to come up
                      with an FJ&G logo with multiple colors that they wanted to ad as a header
                      every time they posted, that would have to be sent in HTML. If someone
                      receiving such a message has their e-mail set up to receive plain text only,
                      the header may just say "FJ&G" as you see here, or may say [image]. I
                      myself have my e-mail set up to receive HTML, but not so someone can dump
                      advertising on me, simply because some people I correspond with prefer to
                      use a different font (other then the usual "normal, variable width, 12" that
                      is the default setting on most systems.

                      As far as a message being attached (like there should be one below this as
                      well), that shouldn't have any effect unless the message goes out as HTML.
                      It would seam that one of the messages last night was converted by the
                      sender or by Onelist to a HTML message, had the ad added, one of the
                      receivers replied to it, not changing it to Plain Text Only. The message
                      then went back through Onelist, where a second HTML ad was attached, and so
                      on...I'm not sure how other systems work, but if an HTML message comes in
                      here, when I reply to it, my system asks me if I am sure that I want to send
                      it out in HTML or I have the option of changing the thing to Plain Text
                      Only, which I do, and it also converts or just eliminates the HTML ad.

                      Paul

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 6, 2000
                        That's probably what was causing my machine to go into hyper limbo a month
                        or so ago when I read 'Onelist" messages. Thanks for the info.

                        Paul

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 6, 2000
                          Hi Paul,

                          When this started happening to you a month ago, I couldn't figure out what the
                          problem was, I think at the time that you were the only one on the list that was
                          receiving the stuff. Now at least Aaron and myself are the "chosen ones" for
                          now!

                          Paul

                        • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 7, 2000
                            There shouldn't be any ads tacked to our postings except
                            the small ones from The Onelist sponsor. I still have
                            no idea what ads you guys are talking about. I hope we
                            can figure it out. Maybe we can ask onelist if posting as
                            an HTML doc is causing this. Could someone send me one
                            of those messages that have an ad at the end of them?

                            Gino

                            > From: Paul Charland <p.charlie@...>
                            > Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 13:49:13 -0500
                            > To: FJG <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
                            > Subject: [FJGRailroad] HTML postings
                            >
                            > Hi people,
                            >
                            > A few of us are having problems with ads showing up with our FJ&G
                            > Onelist postings. The problem seams to arise from people posting in
                            > HTML and not in Plain Text Only mode. The ads get tacked on to the
                            > HTML, then when someone replies to that posting, another ad gets tacked
                            > on, and so on. last night I received one posting that was not that
                            > large, but with three java script ads tacked on the end, was 9K. Until
                            > we find out who is adding this to the postings, please refrain from
                            > posting in HTML.
                            >
                            > Thank you.
                            >
                            > Paul

                            > Sign up for eLerts at:

                          • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 7, 2000
                              I didn't recieve anything like that after Greg's e-mail!

                              Gino

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 7, 2000
                                Gino, there was one at the bottom of your message. Down at the bottom
                                before the link to your home page is a link to the one list sponsor.
                                Sometimes there are a few. There often is an adcouncil or some eco group
                                tacked on with a link also.

                                PKL