Dave Nestle

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2001
      Dave Nestle I found this article on the net...

      1941 Railroad Coach Dedicated to the Memory of David Nestle.

      This past August, the diner car of the Battenkill Rambler passenger train was given a new name. A large crowd was present at a dedication ceremony to honor David Nestle, deceased railroad historian, author, and supporter of the Batten Kill Railroad and the Battenkill Rambler.

      Dave was a railroad man for most of his life as well as being a public school history teacher in Greenwich, NY for many years. In his retirement, he ran his own Railroadiana business and traveled to many railroad shows. In 1984, he joined the staff of the Batten Kill Railroad as a conductor and trainman, and during the remainder of his years, he was instrumental in helping to hold the freight business together with owner Ron Crowd. In 1992, he lead the way in convincing New York State to grant a Regents Charter to the newly organized not-for-profit group, called North Eastern New York Railroad Preservation Group. With this charter came ownership of the 35 miles of track and the responsibility for preservation and educational purposes.

      Until his death, he also served as vice president of the North East Rail Board of Directors. The car, dedicated to his memory, is one of the original New York Central's Empire Express coaches. It was renovated to represent the interior of a 1940's diner, with booths, tables, and railroad decorations. Dave Nestle's name on this coach reminds us all of his dedication to railroading.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14, 2009
        I read the dedication of Paul's book to Dave Nestle. Then I began to think about the various projects that Dave had been involved with and I came up with this list:

        STEAM AND TROLLEY DAYS ON THE FONDA, JOHNSTOWN & GLOVERSVILLE RAILROAD   not dated
        David F. Nestle and William R Gordon

        A HISTORY OF THE HUDSON VALLEY RAILWAY
        1967
        David F. Nestle photography Frank C. Dodge
        (I have a copy of Shaughnessy's D&H book personalized by the author to Mr. Dodge).

        RAILS ALONG THE BATTENKILL
        1983
        David F. Nestle

        THE LEATHERSTOCKING ROUTE
        FROM THE MOHAWK TO THE SUSQUEHANNA BY INTERURBAN
        1959
        David F. Nestle
        (The is some confusion here. I think the date of the original publication might have been 1959. My copy is marked "Reprinted With Permission Of The Author By The Rose & Laurel Bookstore And The Serpent & Eagle Bookshop 1986.)

        RAILS ALONG THE KAYDEROSS
        A HISTORY OF THE LITTLE RAILROAD WITH BIG IDEAS
        1999
        David F. Nestle
        This book was published posthumasly. Pat Nestle was kind enough to sign my copy and I believe she still has copies available.

        Has anyone ever compiled a bibliography of FJ&G publications?

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 14, 2009
          Yes, Walt Danylak put together a list of all articles he could find on the railroad.  I believe you will find it in our archives somewhere.  If not let me know and it can be resubmitted.

          PKL

          To: fjgrailroad@yahoogroups.com; dandh@yahoogroups.com
          From: riverlinejoe@...
          Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 03:27:00 +0000
          Subject: [FJGRailroad] Dave Nestle

[...]

          Windows Live™ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet. Check it out.
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 15, 2009
            Hi Paul and All,

            I've posted the list Walt made up years ago, you can find it at:

            The file opens in MS Word, so you may have to download it and select the
            program to open it.

            Paul :-)

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 15, 2009
              Thanks guys!

              > To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
              > From: p.charlie@...
              > Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 07:08:01 -0400
              > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Dave Nestle
              >
              > Hi Paul and All,
              >
              > I've posted the list Walt made up years ago, you can find it at:

              > The file opens in MS Word, so you may have to download it and select the
              > program to open it.
              >
              > Paul :-)
              >
              > Paul Larner wrote:
              > > Yes, Walt Danylak put together a list of all articles he could find
              > > on the railroad. I believe you will find it in our archives
              > > somewhere. If not let me know and it can be resubmitted.
              > >

              > > PKL

              > <*> Your email settings:
              > Individual Email | Traditional
              >
              > <*> To change settings online go to:
              > (Yahoo! ID required)
              >
              > <*> To change settings via email:
              > mailto:FJGRailroad-digest@yahoogroups.com
              > mailto:FJGRailroad-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Windows Live™ Contacts: Organize your contact list. Check it out.
            • Fjgrailroad
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 15, 2009
                Walt created one!  It's somewhere in the messages
                I can dig it out and post it!

                Every one of Dave's books is a personal
                Favorite!

                Gino