Re: [FJGRailroad] Narrow Gage

  • Randy & Lorraine Decker
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
      Hey Gino just got home Narrow Gauge is my thing! Love the litle logging
      stuff! The size these engines work out to is like having a 3/4 scale
      opperation! Like some of the others have mentioned tighter radius's are
      part of this Type's advantage. To name a few more very important aspects
      Tunnel's!! They can be dug much faster at 3/4 the size, Track ! this can be
      extreamly light gauge, and Bridges can be lighter weight also. Fuel is not
      consumed as fast ? although the hualing capacity is diminised so I do not
      know if this is the best advantage? I guess it is the cost of construction
      that is the biggest reason for these RR's In many cases it is the perfect
      solution for a small Logging opperation that often would lay spurs off into
      the woods to gather the trees in one area and then pull up the rail and set
      it down as fast as they could cut the raw trees for the ties elsewhere,
      Hon3 means Ho scale or Gauge and three feet between the rails, Hon30 means
      Ho scale with 30" or two and 1/2 feet between the rails( this works out to N
      scale by the way??) I do not think the 2' Gauge has been actually offered
      inn brass models the great little Maine Two footers are usually modeled as
      Hon30 and not the correct Hon2? this does not exist as far as I know?? I
      have an Arm Chair RR called the Jerseyfield & Klodike Railroad with all
      kinds of Narrow gauge Brass for the Jerseyfield Lumber opperations and the
      Klodike Mining Co. Hope to get the place for this with the move to a new
      home?? Someday??
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
        We had a very early Three Foot gauge RR locally called the Herkimer Newport
        & Poland RR Co. I think they converted to Standard Gauge in later years??
        > Can anyone tell me the advantage of Narrow Gage Railroads? I've been
        > looking through railroad history and see that there were a ton of Narrow
        > Gage lines! I just wonder why they didn't build standard in the first
        > place!
        >

        > Gino DiCarlo
        > Quad Imaging Saratoga
        > (518)581-4276
        > gino.dicarlo@...

        > This message has been scanned for viruses with Trend Micro's Interscan
        VirusWall.

        http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

      • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
          Randy,

          That's what I'm reading about now! The Fairy Tail Railroad, History of The
          Mohawk and Malone! Great book! Yes, the Herkimer Newport and Poland Narrow
          Gage converted to standard in May of 1881...