Re: [FJGRailroad] Narrow Gage

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
      Hi Gino,

      No they were the real thing. Vermont had 23 narrow gauge railroads over
      the years, mostly logging roads that slapped the track down on bare
      ground, no ballast or anything. This was "snap track", Atlas didn't
      invent it! They would work an area and drag the track to the next
      area.

      There is still one (that I know of) narrow gauge railroad in the States
      that is not a tourist operation. Phelps-Dodge in southeastern
      California operate a modern narrow gauge line from a mine to a
      processing plant, about 35 miles long as I recall.

      Paul

      "Dicarlo, Gino" wrote:

      > I'll tell you Paul, a vacation would be great, but no! I've been reading
      > some books on
      > the history of the railroads in the Adirondacks and seen that there was
      > several! It just
      > got me wondering about them! I always thought they were no more than an
      > amusement
      > park ride, but I guess I was wrong...
      >
      > Gino
    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
        Hey Gino just got home Narrow Gauge is my thing! Love the litle logging
        stuff! The size these engines work out to is like having a 3/4 scale
        opperation! Like some of the others have mentioned tighter radius's are
        part of this Type's advantage. To name a few more very important aspects
        Tunnel's!! They can be dug much faster at 3/4 the size, Track ! this can be
        extreamly light gauge, and Bridges can be lighter weight also. Fuel is not
        consumed as fast ? although the hualing capacity is diminised so I do not
        know if this is the best advantage? I guess it is the cost of construction
        that is the biggest reason for these RR's In many cases it is the perfect
        solution for a small Logging opperation that often would lay spurs off into
        the woods to gather the trees in one area and then pull up the rail and set
        it down as fast as they could cut the raw trees for the ties elsewhere,
        Hon3 means Ho scale or Gauge and three feet between the rails, Hon30 means
        Ho scale with 30" or two and 1/2 feet between the rails( this works out to N
        scale by the way??) I do not think the 2' Gauge has been actually offered
        inn brass models the great little Maine Two footers are usually modeled as
        Hon30 and not the correct Hon2? this does not exist as far as I know?? I
        have an Arm Chair RR called the Jerseyfield & Klodike Railroad with all
        kinds of Narrow gauge Brass for the Jerseyfield Lumber opperations and the
        Klodike Mining Co. Hope to get the place for this with the move to a new
        home?? Someday??
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
          We had a very early Three Foot gauge RR locally called the Herkimer Newport
          & Poland RR Co. I think they converted to Standard Gauge in later years??
          > Can anyone tell me the advantage of Narrow Gage Railroads? I've been
          > looking through railroad history and see that there were a ton of Narrow
          > Gage lines! I just wonder why they didn't build standard in the first
          > place!
          >

          > Gino DiCarlo
          > Quad Imaging Saratoga
          > (518)581-4276
          > gino.dicarlo@...

          > This message has been scanned for viruses with Trend Micro's Interscan
          VirusWall.

          http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

        • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
            Randy,

            That's what I'm reading about now! The Fairy Tail Railroad, History of The
            Mohawk and Malone! Great book! Yes, the Herkimer Newport and Poland Narrow
            Gage converted to standard in May of 1881...