RE: [FJGRailroad] Narrow Gage

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
      One of those steam tourist lines out in Colorado (Durango) is a narrow grade
      I believe! How much smaller(width) are the cars as opposed to standard
      gage?

      Gino

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
        Hi Gino,

        The Durango and Silverton, probably the most spectacular scenery in
        North America operate three times a day in season.

        Narrow gauge cars are between 8' and 9', not too much narrower then
        standard gauge equipment. They are also short, about 8' inside, and
        generally shorter, the average boxcar was about 33' long. Passenger
        equipment was long at 49', the 1880 Jackson Sharpe cars were only 37-39
        feet long. A K-27 2-8-2 "Mudhen" including the tender was only 54 feet
        long, that's shorter then a GP-9.

        Planning a vacation or a layout?

        Paul :-)

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
          I'll tell you Paul, a vacation would be great, but no! I've been reading
          some books on
          the history of the railroads in the Adirondacks and seen that there was
          several! It just
          got me wondering about them! I always thought they were no more than an
          amusement
          park ride, but I guess I was wrong...

          Gino

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
            Hi Gino,

            No they were the real thing. Vermont had 23 narrow gauge railroads over
            the years, mostly logging roads that slapped the track down on bare
            ground, no ballast or anything. This was "snap track", Atlas didn't
            invent it! They would work an area and drag the track to the next
            area.

            There is still one (that I know of) narrow gauge railroad in the States
            that is not a tourist operation. Phelps-Dodge in southeastern
            California operate a modern narrow gauge line from a mine to a
            processing plant, about 35 miles long as I recall.

            Paul

            "Dicarlo, Gino" wrote:

            > I'll tell you Paul, a vacation would be great, but no! I've been reading
            > some books on
            > the history of the railroads in the Adirondacks and seen that there was
            > several! It just
            > got me wondering about them! I always thought they were no more than an
            > amusement
            > park ride, but I guess I was wrong...
            >
            > Gino
          • Randy & Lorraine Decker
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
              Hey Gino just got home Narrow Gauge is my thing! Love the litle logging
              stuff! The size these engines work out to is like having a 3/4 scale
              opperation! Like some of the others have mentioned tighter radius's are
              part of this Type's advantage. To name a few more very important aspects
              Tunnel's!! They can be dug much faster at 3/4 the size, Track ! this can be
              extreamly light gauge, and Bridges can be lighter weight also. Fuel is not
              consumed as fast ? although the hualing capacity is diminised so I do not
              know if this is the best advantage? I guess it is the cost of construction
              that is the biggest reason for these RR's In many cases it is the perfect
              solution for a small Logging opperation that often would lay spurs off into
              the woods to gather the trees in one area and then pull up the rail and set
              it down as fast as they could cut the raw trees for the ties elsewhere,
              Hon3 means Ho scale or Gauge and three feet between the rails, Hon30 means
              Ho scale with 30" or two and 1/2 feet between the rails( this works out to N
              scale by the way??) I do not think the 2' Gauge has been actually offered
              inn brass models the great little Maine Two footers are usually modeled as
              Hon30 and not the correct Hon2? this does not exist as far as I know?? I
              have an Arm Chair RR called the Jerseyfield & Klodike Railroad with all
              kinds of Narrow gauge Brass for the Jerseyfield Lumber opperations and the
              Klodike Mining Co. Hope to get the place for this with the move to a new
              home?? Someday??
              > Can anyone tell me the advantage of Narrow Gage Railroads? I've been
              > looking through railroad history and see that there were a ton of Narrow
              > Gage lines! I just wonder why they didn't build standard in the first
              > place!
              >

              > Gino DiCarlo
              > Quad Imaging Saratoga
              > (518)581-4276
              > gino.dicarlo@...

              > This message has been scanned for viruses with Trend Micro's Interscan
              VirusWall.

              http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

            • Randy & Lorraine Decker
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
                We had a very early Three Foot gauge RR locally called the Herkimer Newport
                & Poland RR Co. I think they converted to Standard Gauge in later years??
                > Can anyone tell me the advantage of Narrow Gage Railroads? I've been
                > looking through railroad history and see that there were a ton of Narrow
                > Gage lines! I just wonder why they didn't build standard in the first
                > place!
                >

                > Gino DiCarlo
                > Quad Imaging Saratoga
                > (518)581-4276
                > gino.dicarlo@...

                > This message has been scanned for viruses with Trend Micro's Interscan
                VirusWall.

                http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

              • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
                  Randy,

                  That's what I'm reading about now! The Fairy Tail Railroad, History of The
                  Mohawk and Malone! Great book! Yes, the Herkimer Newport and Poland Narrow
                  Gage converted to standard in May of 1881...