Narrow Gage

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
      Hi!

      Can anyone tell me the advantage of Narrow Gage Railroads? I've been
      looking through railroad history and see that there were a ton of Narrow
      Gage lines! I just wonder why they didn't build standard in the first
      place!

      Gino DiCarlo
      Quad Imaging Saratoga
      (518)581-4276
      gino.dicarlo@...

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
        Hi Gino,

        Mostly for very tight curves. The Rio Grande Southern used curve in
        some places as tight as 30 degrees, that translates to a radius of only
        191 feet. An SW-9 could handle a curve as small as 100 feet, but larger
        equipment such as an E-unit had a minimum radius of 274 feet, or 21
        degrees and this would have had one significant speed restriction on it,
        like 5 miles per hour.

        Conrail had speed restrictions on any curve of 1.5 degrees or more, this
        is a curve with a radius of over 3800 feet (try doing one of those in
        HO). The curve at the east end of the yard is one of these curves, had
        a speed restriction of 55 mph as I remember.

        Straightening track to avoid tight curves costs money, being able to
        crank the track around corners was just more economical in some
        locations.

        Paul

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
          One of those steam tourist lines out in Colorado (Durango) is a narrow grade
          I believe! How much smaller(width) are the cars as opposed to standard
          gage?

          Gino

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
            Hi Gino,

            The Durango and Silverton, probably the most spectacular scenery in
            North America operate three times a day in season.

            Narrow gauge cars are between 8' and 9', not too much narrower then
            standard gauge equipment. They are also short, about 8' inside, and
            generally shorter, the average boxcar was about 33' long. Passenger
            equipment was long at 49', the 1880 Jackson Sharpe cars were only 37-39
            feet long. A K-27 2-8-2 "Mudhen" including the tender was only 54 feet
            long, that's shorter then a GP-9.

            Planning a vacation or a layout?

            Paul :-)

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
              I'll tell you Paul, a vacation would be great, but no! I've been reading
              some books on
              the history of the railroads in the Adirondacks and seen that there was
              several! It just
              got me wondering about them! I always thought they were no more than an
              amusement
              park ride, but I guess I was wrong...

              Gino

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
                Hi Gino,

                No they were the real thing. Vermont had 23 narrow gauge railroads over
                the years, mostly logging roads that slapped the track down on bare
                ground, no ballast or anything. This was "snap track", Atlas didn't
                invent it! They would work an area and drag the track to the next
                area.

                There is still one (that I know of) narrow gauge railroad in the States
                that is not a tourist operation. Phelps-Dodge in southeastern
                California operate a modern narrow gauge line from a mine to a
                processing plant, about 35 miles long as I recall.

                Paul

                "Dicarlo, Gino" wrote:

                > I'll tell you Paul, a vacation would be great, but no! I've been reading
                > some books on
                > the history of the railroads in the Adirondacks and seen that there was
                > several! It just
                > got me wondering about them! I always thought they were no more than an
                > amusement
                > park ride, but I guess I was wrong...
                >
                > Gino
              • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
                  Hey Gino just got home Narrow Gauge is my thing! Love the litle logging
                  stuff! The size these engines work out to is like having a 3/4 scale
                  opperation! Like some of the others have mentioned tighter radius's are
                  part of this Type's advantage. To name a few more very important aspects
                  Tunnel's!! They can be dug much faster at 3/4 the size, Track ! this can be
                  extreamly light gauge, and Bridges can be lighter weight also. Fuel is not
                  consumed as fast ? although the hualing capacity is diminised so I do not
                  know if this is the best advantage? I guess it is the cost of construction
                  that is the biggest reason for these RR's In many cases it is the perfect
                  solution for a small Logging opperation that often would lay spurs off into
                  the woods to gather the trees in one area and then pull up the rail and set
                  it down as fast as they could cut the raw trees for the ties elsewhere,
                  Hon3 means Ho scale or Gauge and three feet between the rails, Hon30 means
                  Ho scale with 30" or two and 1/2 feet between the rails( this works out to N
                  scale by the way??) I do not think the 2' Gauge has been actually offered
                  inn brass models the great little Maine Two footers are usually modeled as
                  Hon30 and not the correct Hon2? this does not exist as far as I know?? I
                  have an Arm Chair RR called the Jerseyfield & Klodike Railroad with all
                  kinds of Narrow gauge Brass for the Jerseyfield Lumber opperations and the
                  Klodike Mining Co. Hope to get the place for this with the move to a new
                  home?? Someday??
                  > Can anyone tell me the advantage of Narrow Gage Railroads? I've been
                  > looking through railroad history and see that there were a ton of Narrow
                  > Gage lines! I just wonder why they didn't build standard in the first
                  > place!
                  >

                  > Gino DiCarlo
                  > Quad Imaging Saratoga
                  > (518)581-4276
                  > gino.dicarlo@...

                  > This message has been scanned for viruses with Trend Micro's Interscan
                  VirusWall.

                  http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
                    We had a very early Three Foot gauge RR locally called the Herkimer Newport
                    & Poland RR Co. I think they converted to Standard Gauge in later years??
                    > Can anyone tell me the advantage of Narrow Gage Railroads? I've been
                    > looking through railroad history and see that there were a ton of Narrow
                    > Gage lines! I just wonder why they didn't build standard in the first
                    > place!
                    >

                    > Gino DiCarlo
                    > Quad Imaging Saratoga
                    > (518)581-4276
                    > gino.dicarlo@...

                    > This message has been scanned for viruses with Trend Micro's Interscan
                    VirusWall.

                    http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

                  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 4, 2001
                      Randy,

                      That's what I'm reading about now! The Fairy Tail Railroad, History of The
                      Mohawk and Malone! Great book! Yes, the Herkimer Newport and Poland Narrow
                      Gage converted to standard in May of 1881...