Re: [FJGRailroad] Here's a great story!

  • Richard W. Ryall
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2001
      Holy smoke, I lived at the north main street crossing, and my friend Ron Rios,who lives in
      Fort Johnson, and I used to go to Fonda all the time, with my dad and on our bikes.dick

      Gino And Kelly DiCarlo wrote:

      > Here's a story that a guy sent me... Enjoy!
      >
      > ----------
      >
      > My sister who lives in Fonda sent me the Feb. 25 LH newspaper article about
      > your club. I've checked out your website and find it very interesting. I
      > was born and raised in Fulton Co. & left there in 1952 to join the Marines.
      > I now live in Maryland.
      >
      > As a kid in the 1940s, I lived on E. 11th Ave. in G'ville, and the railroad
      > tracks were behind our house. When the work crews on hand cars were working
      > in the area, I would bring them cold water to drink. I took a rail fan ride
      > to Broadalbin one day when a steam locomotive was being used. I remember
      > they let us ride on top of the cars, on the tender, and a few rode in the
      > locomotive. Nobody worried about law suits from injuries in those days.
      > They made frequent stops for photos.
      >
      > On many Saturday mornings, I would stand outside the old Kingsborough Ave.
      > station and wait for the train to Broadalbin. They were usually using the
      > diesels and Pete Vosburgh who knew my family, was a fireman at the time. If
      > there was a passenger car on the train, they would stop and pick me up. I
      > would be the only passenger waiting there & I paid a nominal fee for a
      > ticket. On the way back, they would stop at the N. Main St. crossing and
      > let me jump off. One day, they let me ride home in the locomotive, but I
      > had to get off before they reached the G'ville station so the big bosses
      > wouldn't know.
      >
      > During WW II, it was a big treat for me when our family would drive to the
      > Fonda station & watch the high speed NY Central trains go by. Some were
      > troop trains and many carried military vehicles. There was a serious train
      > wreck at the crossing near the Fonda station one time. We went down to see
      > the aftermath. As I recall, two of the fast steam powered freight trains
      > were involved.
      >
      > Best regards,
      > Jack Sands

    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2001
        Rich I was good friends with Mr. Rios son Jeff when I was a kid?? We used
        to hike to Sammonsville and don over the bank to see the old Dam and
        Watrfalls there and jump the train on the way back to Gloversville?? I am
        pretty sure this is the same family they did live for a time near FMCC??
        Small world

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

      • Richard W. Ryall
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2001
          You`ve got that right Randy, Ron still lives just down the road from FMCC, Fort Johnson
          address, what a small world...dick