Here's a great story!

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2001
      Here's a story that a guy sent me... Enjoy!

      ----------

      My sister who lives in Fonda sent me the Feb. 25 LH newspaper article about
      your club. I've checked out your website and find it very interesting. I
      was born and raised in Fulton Co. & left there in 1952 to join the Marines.
      I now live in Maryland.

      As a kid in the 1940s, I lived on E. 11th Ave. in G'ville, and the railroad
      tracks were behind our house. When the work crews on hand cars were working
      in the area, I would bring them cold water to drink. I took a rail fan ride
      to Broadalbin one day when a steam locomotive was being used. I remember
      they let us ride on top of the cars, on the tender, and a few rode in the
      locomotive. Nobody worried about law suits from injuries in those days.
      They made frequent stops for photos.

      On many Saturday mornings, I would stand outside the old Kingsborough Ave.
      station and wait for the train to Broadalbin. They were usually using the
      diesels and Pete Vosburgh who knew my family, was a fireman at the time. If
      there was a passenger car on the train, they would stop and pick me up. I
      would be the only passenger waiting there & I paid a nominal fee for a
      ticket. On the way back, they would stop at the N. Main St. crossing and
      let me jump off. One day, they let me ride home in the locomotive, but I
      had to get off before they reached the G'ville station so the big bosses
      wouldn't know.

      During WW II, it was a big treat for me when our family would drive to the
      Fonda station & watch the high speed NY Central trains go by. Some were
      troop trains and many carried military vehicles. There was a serious train
      wreck at the crossing near the Fonda station one time. We went down to see
      the aftermath. As I recall, two of the fast steam powered freight trains
      were involved.

      Best regards,
      Jack Sands
    • Richard W. Ryall
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2001
        Holy smoke, I lived at the north main street crossing, and my friend Ron Rios,who lives in
        Fort Johnson, and I used to go to Fonda all the time, with my dad and on our bikes.dick

        Gino And Kelly DiCarlo wrote:

        > Here's a story that a guy sent me... Enjoy!
        >
        > ----------
        >
        > My sister who lives in Fonda sent me the Feb. 25 LH newspaper article about
        > your club. I've checked out your website and find it very interesting. I
        > was born and raised in Fulton Co. & left there in 1952 to join the Marines.
        > I now live in Maryland.
        >
        > As a kid in the 1940s, I lived on E. 11th Ave. in G'ville, and the railroad
        > tracks were behind our house. When the work crews on hand cars were working
        > in the area, I would bring them cold water to drink. I took a rail fan ride
        > to Broadalbin one day when a steam locomotive was being used. I remember
        > they let us ride on top of the cars, on the tender, and a few rode in the
        > locomotive. Nobody worried about law suits from injuries in those days.
        > They made frequent stops for photos.
        >
        > On many Saturday mornings, I would stand outside the old Kingsborough Ave.
        > station and wait for the train to Broadalbin. They were usually using the
        > diesels and Pete Vosburgh who knew my family, was a fireman at the time. If
        > there was a passenger car on the train, they would stop and pick me up. I
        > would be the only passenger waiting there & I paid a nominal fee for a
        > ticket. On the way back, they would stop at the N. Main St. crossing and
        > let me jump off. One day, they let me ride home in the locomotive, but I
        > had to get off before they reached the G'ville station so the big bosses
        > wouldn't know.
        >
        > During WW II, it was a big treat for me when our family would drive to the
        > Fonda station & watch the high speed NY Central trains go by. Some were
        > troop trains and many carried military vehicles. There was a serious train
        > wreck at the crossing near the Fonda station one time. We went down to see
        > the aftermath. As I recall, two of the fast steam powered freight trains
        > were involved.
        >
        > Best regards,
        > Jack Sands

      • Randy & Lorraine Decker
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2001
          Rich I was good friends with Mr. Rios son Jeff when I was a kid?? We used
          to hike to Sammonsville and don over the bank to see the old Dam and
          Watrfalls there and jump the train on the way back to Gloversville?? I am
          pretty sure this is the same family they did live for a time near FMCC??
          Small world

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

        • Richard W. Ryall
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2001
            You`ve got that right Randy, Ron still lives just down the road from FMCC, Fort Johnson
            address, what a small world...dick