Northville, Parkville

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2000
      > Hi Gino; The FJ&G had an extensive freight yard and it did run quite far
      > past the station in Northville there was one track that was lengthened to
      > accommodate John Willard saw mill and lumber/log lot that was gigantic at
      > one time so the FJG could make up the long trains of logs (I have been
      > looking for photos of the type of loader they used to set these logs on the
      > cars) Parkville

      How far past the Northville Depot did the line run? I think I have an old
      map somewhere of the Northville station and I don't remember it going too
      far...

      Gino

      p.s. Thanks for the Business info...
    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2000
        Northville, ParkvilleIt changed through the years but never went as far as Parkville I will have to look myself. I know it would, at one time, have been as long as 2 or 3hundred feet! and they had several siding tracks for an impressive yard at Northville!

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2000
          The extreme end of track was station 981 feet beyond the station location.
          Main track ended 81 feet beyond the station.

          PKL

          >From: "Randy & Lorraine Decker" <rldecker@...>
          >To: <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
          >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Northville, Parkville
          >Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 15:09:25 -0500
          >
          ><< text2.html >>
          ><< text3.html >>
        • Randy & Lorraine Decker
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2000
            Wow Paul what year was this? that would almost put it past the boat launch!
            Great! this must have been for the saw mill there was no other reason for
            the track to be this long.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2000
              The track that went by the station ended a couple car lengths beyond the
              switch north of the station. Using the switch you crossed over once or twice
              two either of two tracks that extended the full distance north. The west
              track ran past the freight house, then after the crossover switch past a few
              buildings. The center track appears to be an extension of the main trrack
              from the crossover, just north of the turntable switch. There are no
              buildings shown adjacent to this track. The tracks ended just short of the
              highway. Some of this is from the valuation maps, which I believe are the
              same ones of which Aaron has copies; the rest is from the original of the
              Northville station grounds plan. The plan is 1903; the valuation 1926.

              >From: "Randy & Lorraine Decker" <rldecker@...>
              >To: <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
              >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Northville, Parkville
              >Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 19:40:36 -0500
              >
              >Wow Paul what year was this? that would almost put it past the boat launch!
              >Great! this must have been for the saw mill there was no other reason for
              >the track to be this long.

            • Randy & Lorraine Decker
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 5, 2000
                Near the end of that longer track would have been the bottom Willard log
                yards there would not have been a building but their may have been a loader
                of some sorts or at least a wooden ramp for rolling those beautiful logs on
                the cars! Boy some of those old lumber-men would have a heart attack if
                they could see the prices this hardwood brings now!!! some of it is over
                $7000 per 1000 board feet! and the Europeans and the Japanese buyers are
                paying twice this !! you are talking $10,000 for a full truck load!!