Re: Northville

  • Randy & Lorraine Decker
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2000
      Hi Gino; The FJ&G had an extensive freight yard and it did run quite far
      past the station in Northville there was one track that was lengthened to
      accommodate John Willard saw mill and lumber/log lot that was gigantic at
      one time so the FJG could make up the long trains of logs (I have been
      looking for photos of the type of loader they used to set these logs on the
      cars) Parkville had several small mills that didi business and the freight
      house in Northville was very large for a small community like this one lots
      of freight coming and going across the old bridge for many years! Also you
      have to realize the size of the Sacandaga Park this was the RR's bread and
      butter and the freight to the businesses and hotels throughout this end of
      the line was huge in the summer the passenger traffic was in the millions
      during the RR's history(hate to give any actual #'s I may be corrected don't
      want to bruise my ego!)many of Northville's businesses were taylored to
      sevice the needs of the park. and the communities to the north Speculator
      Wells etc. used the Northville Station and Freight Hoouse for their
      business. The Northville branch was the largest money maker for the RR for
      over 40yrs at times in the summer would dwarf the Gloversville business.
      many of the businesses in the valley used the Cranberry Creek depot as well
      lots of trafffic here too! By the way nothing to do with this responsed but
      I would like to let anyone who is trying to get a copy of my book I am sold
      out here and Arcadia is trying to find me the last copies their salesmen my
      have in their cars they have no more! The Adirondack Country Store in
      Northville 518 863-8022 and Waterwheel Old Books in Galway rt29 518 882-5429
      are two locations that have a few left and I mean a few! Arcadia is going
      to reprint this one because of the demand (second fastest selling book to
      date) and I have the reprint just about done with a few corrections and some
      great stories from some of the oldtimers who remember it so well! The engine
      roster has always been a hard one to get straight and Paul Larner from this
      group has been very helpful with this info we have a real expert here and it
      has been a pleasure meeting with him and I would like to thank him here as
      well as in the reprinted book for his efforts. I would like to see Paul
      print a more complete history of the FJ&G RR my book is entertaining and has
      a lot of great photos of the RR and a small amount of history but there is
      so much more that can be written on this Great RR I have only scratched the
      surface with my book! Thanks Paul I sure wish I could have taped some of
      your meetings with Dave Nestle you guy's probably tossed more info out on a
      table in one evening than most of us will ever understand! Gino I guess the
      book page can stay but you might want to mention the reprint? if this is
      alright let me know. By the way here is a great oppertunity to add to the
      book if you like? if anyone reading this message has any good interesting or
      funny stories related to the FJ&G send them to me and I will try to fit them
      in the reprint with your name at the bottom of the story! This is a great
      group and some of you guy's and girls must have some things to write! sorry
      for the long message again I tend to ramble!
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2001
        There was a small knot of factories at Parkville, a settlement appended to
        the NW corner of Northville on the Sacandaga River. I think Parkville had a
        freight depot was really the last stop on the Northville Branch line.
        Somewhere I have a zerox of a 1926 Parkville fire insurance map that shows a
        lumber mill, door and window-door sash factory near the end of the line. I
        think that there was also a tannery and at one time a woolen mill. There was
        also a fuel company with a storage tank or tanks for fuel oil that must have
        supplied the region to the North. Today it's all under watter just north of
        the Northville Bridge.

        I'll try to dig this thing out.