Northville

  • GINO DICARLO (QUAD GRAPHICS, SARATOGA)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2000
      I always wondered what business the FJG ran into at Northville besides
      the passenger line? I know they hauled some logs, but what else? Did
      some business come across the river to be shipped by rail? What other
      business on the whole Northville Branch? We've discussed the mining near
      Mayfield and Cranberry Creek, but what other goods did they ship besides
      business?

      Gino

      (writing from work)
    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 4, 2000
        Hi Gino; The FJ&G had an extensive freight yard and it did run quite far
        past the station in Northville there was one track that was lengthened to
        accommodate John Willard saw mill and lumber/log lot that was gigantic at
        one time so the FJG could make up the long trains of logs (I have been
        looking for photos of the type of loader they used to set these logs on the
        cars) Parkville had several small mills that didi business and the freight
        house in Northville was very large for a small community like this one lots
        of freight coming and going across the old bridge for many years! Also you
        have to realize the size of the Sacandaga Park this was the RR's bread and
        butter and the freight to the businesses and hotels throughout this end of
        the line was huge in the summer the passenger traffic was in the millions
        during the RR's history(hate to give any actual #'s I may be corrected don't
        want to bruise my ego!)many of Northville's businesses were taylored to
        sevice the needs of the park. and the communities to the north Speculator
        Wells etc. used the Northville Station and Freight Hoouse for their
        business. The Northville branch was the largest money maker for the RR for
        over 40yrs at times in the summer would dwarf the Gloversville business.
        many of the businesses in the valley used the Cranberry Creek depot as well
        lots of trafffic here too! By the way nothing to do with this responsed but
        I would like to let anyone who is trying to get a copy of my book I am sold
        out here and Arcadia is trying to find me the last copies their salesmen my
        have in their cars they have no more! The Adirondack Country Store in
        Northville 518 863-8022 and Waterwheel Old Books in Galway rt29 518 882-5429
        are two locations that have a few left and I mean a few! Arcadia is going
        to reprint this one because of the demand (second fastest selling book to
        date) and I have the reprint just about done with a few corrections and some
        great stories from some of the oldtimers who remember it so well! The engine
        roster has always been a hard one to get straight and Paul Larner from this
        group has been very helpful with this info we have a real expert here and it
        has been a pleasure meeting with him and I would like to thank him here as
        well as in the reprinted book for his efforts. I would like to see Paul
        print a more complete history of the FJ&G RR my book is entertaining and has
        a lot of great photos of the RR and a small amount of history but there is
        so much more that can be written on this Great RR I have only scratched the
        surface with my book! Thanks Paul I sure wish I could have taped some of
        your meetings with Dave Nestle you guy's probably tossed more info out on a
        table in one evening than most of us will ever understand! Gino I guess the
        book page can stay but you might want to mention the reprint? if this is
        alright let me know. By the way here is a great oppertunity to add to the
        book if you like? if anyone reading this message has any good interesting or
        funny stories related to the FJ&G send them to me and I will try to fit them
        in the reprint with your name at the bottom of the story! This is a great
        group and some of you guy's and girls must have some things to write! sorry
        for the long message again I tend to ramble!

      • psefton@xxxxxxxxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2001
          There was a small knot of factories at Parkville, a settlement appended to
          the NW corner of Northville on the Sacandaga River. I think Parkville had a
          freight depot was really the last stop on the Northville Branch line.
          Somewhere I have a zerox of a 1926 Parkville fire insurance map that shows a
          lumber mill, door and window-door sash factory near the end of the line. I
          think that there was also a tannery and at one time a woolen mill. There was
          also a fuel company with a storage tank or tanks for fuel oil that must have
          supplied the region to the North. Today it's all under watter just north of
          the Northville Bridge.

          I'll try to dig this thing out.