Re: Elephant Graveyard

  • Randy & Lorraine Decker
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 1999
      Saul the new pub is doing quite well Snow machiners in the winter and lots
      of em also all the younger and the older locals head here for drinks or a
      casual diner, good cook and nice view! The brochures are great I have three
      of the sketches book and a beat up copy of the gem pesort the sketches book
      can run as high as $100 for perfect one and this may be a bargain you don't
      see them at all any more! I contacted the Argus printing co in 1985 they
      were still in business after more than 100 years new owners through the
      years but the same name They produced hundreds of printings like the ones
      for the FJ&G throughout the northeast! The gentleman who talked to me told
      me he wished I had contacted him in the late 1970's only a few years before
      they had to(ARE YOU SITTING DOWN!!!) destroy all the glass negatives that
      filled the cellar to make room for the computers for their updated printing
      service!!!! They gladly would have given them to anyone who wanted them I
      mentioned they could have easily sent them to the NYS museum My god there
      was a treasure of photographic history there I was tempted to find out what
      dump they used!! Ohh well this is life and this is what makes our feeble
      pursuits of history so important If we can find the stuff now at least as
      long as we can leave it where others will be able to use it when we are done
      these artifacts and documented history won't be impossible for the furture
      generations to find and use!
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2000
        I believe the people who run the "Sport Island Pub" have another, more
        formal restaurant called "Lanzi's" down on Route 30 around Mayfield. It's on
        the site of the old "Fisherman's Rest", where a World Record Great Northern
        was caught just before the war. We figure the pike was a survivor from the
        Vly that was flooded out by the dam at Conklingville.

        As SK says, I preferred the dumpy old place twice.

        Peter sefton
        Alexandria, VA