Elephant Graveyard

  • skalbfel@xx.xxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 1999
      Do you think a metal detector scan out where the cars were burned would reveal
      any artifacts? Also, re what used to be the Beachcomber. I was there in 1997 right
      after they opened. I liked the old dumpy place better. Where do they get enough
      clientele to keep open all year? Park is pretty desolate in the winter. Also Randy,
      I have a couple of promotional brochures my mother gave me a long time ago. One
      is little pocket size guide to the Park called Sacandaga Park The Gem Resort of
      the North. No date. Also have "Camera Sketches of Sacandaga Park". This one is
      8 1/2 x 11 and in excellent condition. Pictures are excellent quality. Also have
      a small collection of hand colored post cards. HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
      Saul
    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 1999
        Saul the new pub is doing quite well Snow machiners in the winter and lots
        of em also all the younger and the older locals head here for drinks or a
        casual diner, good cook and nice view! The brochures are great I have three
        of the sketches book and a beat up copy of the gem pesort the sketches book
        can run as high as $100 for perfect one and this may be a bargain you don't
        see them at all any more! I contacted the Argus printing co in 1985 they
        were still in business after more than 100 years new owners through the
        years but the same name They produced hundreds of printings like the ones
        for the FJ&G throughout the northeast! The gentleman who talked to me told
        me he wished I had contacted him in the late 1970's only a few years before
        they had to(ARE YOU SITTING DOWN!!!) destroy all the glass negatives that
        filled the cellar to make room for the computers for their updated printing
        service!!!! They gladly would have given them to anyone who wanted them I
        mentioned they could have easily sent them to the NYS museum My god there
        was a treasure of photographic history there I was tempted to find out what
        dump they used!! Ohh well this is life and this is what makes our feeble
        pursuits of history so important If we can find the stuff now at least as
        long as we can leave it where others will be able to use it when we are done
        these artifacts and documented history won't be impossible for the furture
        generations to find and use!

      • psefton@xxxxxxxxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2000
          I believe the people who run the "Sport Island Pub" have another, more
          formal restaurant called "Lanzi's" down on Route 30 around Mayfield. It's on
          the site of the old "Fisherman's Rest", where a World Record Great Northern
          was caught just before the war. We figure the pike was a survivor from the
          Vly that was flooded out by the dam at Conklingville.

          As SK says, I preferred the dumpy old place twice.

          Peter sefton
          Alexandria, VA