Sacandaga Gates

  • skalbfel@ix.netcom.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 1999
      There were 2 gates to the original Park. One where you mentioned, the other at the East
      end of McKinley Road. That one was partially destroyed in the fifties by someone who lived
      in the first house on McKinley(No Names Mentioned)who decided on his own
      the entrance was too narrow for two cars to pass at the intersection. Too bad.
      We lived in the third cottage. The other gate was right
      along side the ROW at the intersection of old Rt. 30 and Mountain Road. Next
      time you are up there notice the 2 or 3 cottages that are on a short drive
      off Mountain Road just West of the intersection and how they parallel the ROW.
      I'm looking for some old USGS Survey maps of Fulton County I've had for about 15
      years. I'm thinking now about what I said yesterday about the FJG ROW south
      of Sacndaga. I think the line was absolutely straight from Cranberry
      Creek to Northville. Where the new Rt. 30 branches from old Rt. 30 the highway
      turns to the north and lines up with the old railbed and goes to the point
      where the highway turns slightly to go around Sacandaga Park. Park of the old
      ROW on the USGS map was labelled a "Jeep Trail." You can still make out where
      the ROW crosses Bunker Hill Road, at least you could about 10 years ago.
      On a side, unrelated note, in Michigan a big issue is how shabbily built are our
      roads and how they don't hold up. Last time I was on that section of Rt. 30,(1997)
      I was amazed at it's excellent condition, after 43 years. That is one of the
      best built slabs of concrete I've ever been on.

      Saul
    • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 1999
        I also have the USGS maps which I used about 15 years ago, but I
        never found that jeep trail. I also could never see any right
        of way near Bunker Hill Road. This should also be right about
        where the line came out of Cranberry Creek and headed to Northville.

        Gino

        > From: skalbfel@...
        > Date: 30 Dec 1999 15:47:39 -0000
        > To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
        > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Sacandaga Gates
        >
        > From: skalbfel@...
        >
        > There were 2 gates to the original Park. One where you mentioned, the other at
        > the East
        > end of McKinley Road. That one was partially destroyed in the fifties by
        > someone who lived
        > in the first house on McKinley(No Names Mentioned)who decided on his own
        > the entrance was too narrow for two cars to pass at the intersection. Too bad.
        > We lived in the third cottage. The other gate was right
        > along side the ROW at the intersection of old Rt. 30 and Mountain Road. Next
        > time you are up there notice the 2 or 3 cottages that are on a short drive
        > off Mountain Road just West of the intersection and how they parallel the ROW.
        > I'm looking for some old USGS Survey maps of Fulton County I've had for about
        > 15
        > years. I'm thinking now about what I said yesterday about the FJG ROW south
        > of Sacndaga. I think the line was absolutely straight from Cranberry
        > Creek to Northville. Where the new Rt. 30 branches from old Rt. 30 the highway
        > turns to the north and lines up with the old railbed and goes to the point
        > where the highway turns slightly to go around Sacandaga Park. Park of the old
        > ROW on the USGS map was labelled a "Jeep Trail." You can still make out where
        > the ROW crosses Bunker Hill Road, at least you could about 10 years ago.
        > On a side, unrelated note, in Michigan a big issue is how shabbily built are
        > our
        > roads and how they don't hold up. Last time I was on that section of Rt.
        > 30,(1997)
        > I was amazed at it's excellent condition, after 43 years. That is one of the
        > best built slabs of concrete I've ever been on.
        >
        > Saul
        >
        > > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
        > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/

      • Randy & Lorraine Decker
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 1999
          Hey Gino and Saul I have to admit I live right up here and I have not been
          in the woods behind the Northampton diner and the bunker hill road The
          crossing is real hard to see now but I know where it crossed and it did turn
          out into the lake for the run toward Mayfield from there as far as I know
          the new rt 30 was in part the desired route for the FJ&G relocation plans I
          have copies of these but I think this was just to keep the law suit for the
          loss of the railbed agaist the state on track If the state could prove the
          FJ&G had no intention of spending money for the relocation etc. etc. they
          would not have been given the setelment they were finally rewarded with I
          have the actual figure signed by the lawers somewhere one million 3 or
          something like that! but I do think the state used some of the preliminary
          surveys and geological references paid for by the FJ&G for the new rt 30 but
          the RR was always to the south of this road even at the Northville bridge
          were rt30 and the fjg came the closest!