Ghost Railbed

  • skalbfel@ix.netcom.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 1999
      I was 12 in 1954 when the Rt.30 bypass was started. We had a cottage in Sacandaga
      Park so my friends and I hung around the construction when the woods were cleared.
      I remember the FJG roadbed well and as far as I can tell it was right under the
      current Rt. 30. Why that 2 miles south of the park is cleared so wide can possibly
      be attributed to rumors that this road could be part of the Interstate Highway
      system. Just before entering the Park there was a slight curve that lined the ROW
      on tangent with the depot. Up to about 1950 the roadbed could be easily seen.
      Now there is a long hedgerow that is quite tall as it passes behind the Sacandaga
      Park Golf Club. When I was a little kid the bushes were much smaller and must have been
      planted in 1930. I know this is true because I can remember seeing exposed ties
      at the corner of McKinley Road where the ROW passed in front of the Adirondack Inn.
      I don't ever remember the ties being removed so they may still be there under
      several inches of dirt. As the line passed through Sacandaga the roadbed must
      have had no elevation or drainage, since I don't think the company would have
      spent money the grade the ROW flat. Old pictures seem to confirm this. An
      interesting project for someone would be to walk that hedgerow with a metal
      detector. I'l bet there are buried spikes, plates and etc right below ground level.

      Saul
    • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 1999
        Saul,

        Right when you turn into Sacandaga Park from Route 30, on
        the left hand side there is a stone archway and a dirt
        path leading into the park. I always thought that the ROW
        entered the park from there. I could never figure where
        it went south becuase there were houses right across from
        the arch and it didn't seem possible. Is the right of
        way under route 30 near the lumber company?

        Gino

        > From: skalbfel@...
        > Date: 29 Dec 1999 16:14:49 -0000
        > To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com
        > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Ghost Railbed
        >
        > From: skalbfel@...
        >
        > I was 12 in 1954 when the Rt.30 bypass was started. We had a cottage in
        > Sacandaga
        > Park so my friends and I hung around the construction when the woods were
        > cleared.
        > I remember the FJG roadbed well and as far as I can tell it was right under
        > the
        > current Rt. 30. Why that 2 miles south of the park is cleared so wide can
        > possibly
        > be attributed to rumors that this road could be part of the Interstate Highway
        > system. Just before entering the Park there was a slight curve that lined the
        > ROW
        > on tangent with the depot. Up to about 1950 the roadbed could be easily seen.
        > Now there is a long hedgerow that is quite tall as it passes behind the
        > Sacandaga
        > Park Golf Club. When I was a little kid the bushes were much smaller and must
        > have been
        > planted in 1930. I know this is true because I can remember seeing exposed
        > ties
        > at the corner of McKinley Road where the ROW passed in front of the Adirondack
        > Inn.
        > I don't ever remember the ties being removed so they may still be there under
        > several inches of dirt. As the line passed through Sacandaga the roadbed must
        > have had no elevation or drainage, since I don't think the company would have
        > spent money the grade the ROW flat. Old pictures seem to confirm this. An
        > interesting project for someone would be to walk that hedgerow with a metal
        > detector. I'l bet there are buried spikes, plates and etc right below ground
        > level.
        >
        > Saul
        >
        > > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
        > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/

      • Randy & Lorraine Decker
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 30, 1999
          Hey Saul : Just getting to some of these messages been having a little
          trouble with boundary lines and loggers up here in the north woods! pistol
          permit sure came in handy this week these guy's are a tough bunch!!! anyway
          I have never taken the time to walk or look for stuff along the railbed in
          the park I have found one great RR spike from the Miniature train on the
          beach below the Sport Island Pub ( new place very nice Saul They tore down
          the beach comber and built a new upscale bar and restaurant here) I hope to
          find some more it is cute about three inches long and identical to a full
          sized spike! No jokes about spike size please! By the way The miniature
          train was a bonafide Steam engine used for ticket bearing passenger
          transportation and should be added to the official roster! What do you
          think Paul?? It was manufactured in 1901 By the Miniature Railway Co. and
          was used until 1919 it was a 4-4-0 track gauge should have been 15inches
          going by other live steamers of this type I am working on the rest This one
          is tough but everyones favorite!