Roland: Mayfield Advice

  • psefton@crosslink.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 15, 2001
      Roland: I wanted to ask you about an old picture of downtown Mayfield. Don't
      want to post it the scan to conserve group's space, as it really isn't FJG
      related. Any chance I could send it to your personal e-mail ?
    • mike engle
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 15, 2001
        Can I ask about this Mayfield picture. Is there a diner in the picture? I
        believe there was a diner in Mayfield sometime in the 40's
        (I'm too lazy to go upstairs from the computer and get the address from my
        notes) =)

        Mike

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 16, 2001
          actually it's too early --- photo is circa 1906---it shows a strange
          "skyscraper" (actually a 5-6 story building) in the heart of downtown
          Mayfield. There was some e-mail traffic about the Mayfield diner a while
          back which should be in the group archives. It related to how much of the
          center of the Mayfield business district is now demolished, creating a
          "hollow core" effect. Be glad to e-mail you the photo if you would like to
          see it, but it's pre-diner.

          Peter S.

          > Can I ask about this Mayfield picture. Is there a diner in the picture?
          > believe there was a diner in Mayfield sometime in the 40's
          > (I'm too lazy to go upstairs from the computer and get the address from my
          > notes) =)
          >
          > Mike
          >

          > >From: psefton@...
          > >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
          > >Subject: [FJGRailroad] Roland: Mayfield Advice
          > >Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 07:28:42 -0500
          > >
          > >Roland: I wanted to ask you about an old picture of downtown Mayfield.
          > >Don't
          > >want to post it the scan to conserve group's space, as it really isn't
          FJG
          > >related. Any chance I could send it to your personal e-mail ?

          http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

        • Roland Bowers
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 16, 2001
            Go ahead and mail it. I would like to see it. When I was Agent at Mayfield,
            the Mayfield Glove Co. was in the center of town. It was a brick building,
            but I think it only had three stories.

            Roland

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 16, 2001
              Pete, get yourself a copy of the Images of America book on the Sacandaga
              Valley. They have them at Borders on Wolf Road and I'm pretty certain other
              Borders or Barnes and Noble stores in the capital district. In there is a
              section on Mayfield which has a photo of the Mayfield Glove Company, one of
              the factories at Mayfield. There is also a picture of the Mayfield Diner,
              rather close up, but enough to say it sure looks like an ex trolley car. I
              believe there was another large factory in Mayfield on the curve north of
              the center of town. Now this is fuzzy recollection, because I can't recall
              where I saw or read the information. What say Randy?
              PKL

              >From: psefton@...
              >To: <FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Roland: Mayfield Advice
              >Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 07:00:05 -0500
              >
              >actually it's too early --- photo is circa 1906---it shows a strange
              >"skyscraper" (actually a 5-6 story building) in the heart of downtown
              >Mayfield. There was some e-mail traffic about the Mayfield diner a while
              >back which should be in the group archives. It related to how much of the
              >center of the Mayfield business district is now demolished, creating a
              >"hollow core" effect. Be glad to e-mail you the photo if you would like to
              >see it, but it's pre-diner.
              >
              >Peter S.

            • Randy & Lorraine Decker
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 16, 2001
                Could I get a look at this photograph as well??? I will have to see if I
                can get the photo they used in the book seems way out of focus ?? may be
                all they cloud find for this section?? Perhaps I can make a better copy??