Re: Hello everyone

  • Randy & Lorraine Decker
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22, 1999
      Hi Cathy : I am about a year younger than you( for you younger guys out
      there this is a terrible way to begin a sentence when talking to women!
      sorry cath!) but used to play along the tracks just a short way up the line
      near North St.. I still cant believe more of us didn't get our legs or arms
      severed those rails were so bad the engines had to run quite slow and we
      would always try to hid in the bushes and jump on back and ride! The ice
      cream stand was a dairy queen and I am not familiar with the store? what
      side of main St.. and about how far up? There are some of us involved in
      refitting an old box car that is at the location of the G-ville station and
      we have plans to build a fairly extensive miniature railroad layout with
      scale buildings and trains as close to identical as can be reasonably
      achieved. Welcome to the site Cathy and I am sure one of these guy's knows
      about that layout Randy Decker
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 22, 1999
        Thanks for the memories Cathy! I saew the model layout once and
        thought it was great. One of my friends father was part of the
        club, but I don't remember if it was the FJG that they modeled?

        Gino

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 23, 1999
          Cathy What am I talking about! I more than remember the layout I was a
          member! I was picturing a storefront layout in a window or something? The
          Railroad club was above the store front that was next to Durkees hardware
          and the Club was called The Adirondack & Southern man that layout was
          gigantic on the third floor I am working with Mr. Abdella who owns this
          location for acsess to the layout that is now in a state of disrepair for
          items that we can use to build the layout in the box car! Two of the
          founding members I mentioned in the beginning of my acknowledgments page
          Great guy's we took trips to see live steam and I remember running trains
          and switching them together from the yards! These guy's would talk Railroad
          all night This web site reminds me of this it is funny in the Model
          Railroading world there is almost a rivalry between those who like O gauge
          (the larger) and HO gauge (the smaller) you can do so much more with HO with
          the size of the layout! and you can do so much more with detail and pulling
          power with O scalebut these guy's were and are always avid railfans! We
          have some model railroaders in this group! By the way we will most likely
          need some help in the future with buildings and scenery? It is my plan to
          run a loop to loop that has each station depicted and even a good sized area
          for the Sacandaga Park I am working on a small balloon on a wire from the
          ground to recreate the famous balloon ascension card from the park! The
          miniature train will be there too! I found some small pewter train that is
          close to the size for this Z scale is just a little to big but if I could
          find a Z engine 4-4-0 I would try to make an opperating example! Wow hope
          we can get this job done it is as close to the FJ&G we will ever see again
          The way I see it (and mine aint the only way, I am certainly not ego
          driven!) All that is left for us to do concerning the FJ&G is to preserve
          it's past and share it's history with each other and as many as we can
          enlighten! This can be accomplished through books, museums and document
          research and great web sites like this one! Private collections are great
          at least items from the RR will be preserved I have one myself but what
          real good is it to keep in a box or garage or on the mantle? There is
          everyones need for haveing nice things and bragging rights to a fine item
          from the RR and there certainly is nothing wrong with this but to have a
          place where items (that have become quite pricey)can be displayed and if on
          loan you still get the bragging rights but instead of the closit they are
          out where all can see and this model Railroad layout will draw people from
          all over the country we hope! I am getting long here ! Thanks again Cathy
          for reminding me of the Layout and stay with the group we get rather tedious
          at time chasing down a trivial peice of obscure FJ&G History! but we take
          breaks like this and ramble sometimes as well! By all