ICC reports

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 21, 1999
      Aaron is away from his school e-mail, so he wants me to
      forward this to all of you...

      B'ALBIN JCT CONCRETE SHELTER
      The 1928 ICC Track Valuations show Broadalbin Junction as having a concrete
      telephone booth. There was also a semaphore at Broadalbin Junction which
      read the position of the switch. The semaphore was just up the line on the
      Northville mainline.

      QUARRY NORTH OF MAYFIELD
      The track valuations show a location just north of Mayfield, known as
      "Quarry." It's just after Milepost 16. Mayfield Passenger Station wasn't
      too far from milepost 15.

      The "quarry" just had one siding, 706' long, going off to the west, with a
      Hayes derail protecting it.

      U. S. FELDSPAR
      The feldspar company had a single 424' siding going off to the west, with a
      Hayes derail and a Durable bumper on the end.

      MAIN TRACK SUMMARY
      Regarding our discussion about the weight of rail FJ&G used.

      Miles 1 - 5. 75# rail, 1901 manufacturing date, brand simply noted as "OH".
      Mostly chestnut ties, but some cedar and even fewer pine. Bolts were 4" by
      3/4" square bolts. Tie plates were 5" x 8 1/2" ribbed Wolhaupter. Spikes
      were 9/16" by 5 1/2" There were four spikes per tie. Fish plates were 32",
      6 holes per plate, 75#. A few of the fish plates on the Fonda end were 36",
      otherwise the same.

      Miles 6-10. Same as above, up until between the Sewer Treatment Plant and
      the Knox Gelatin siding, the rail changed to 80#, of 1923 manufacture, brand
      simply noted as "OH". Fish plates changed to 24".

      The individual track note pages between miles 7 and 10 are a mess. The
      brand of the 80# rail changed a few times and I think they note some other
      rail for sidings, etc. By the time Mile 10 was reached, the brand of 80#
      rail changed to "A.S.C.E."

      Mile 10, Gloversville. Rail was same as above until just before the
      crossing at Pine Street, where it changed to 70#, Dudley mfgr., date 1893.
      It was 70# through Gloversville until the middle of Grand Street, where it
      changed back to 80#, 1911, A.S.C.E., with 24" 4-hole Webers fish plates.

      Mile 12, Gloversville, fish plates were changed for a few feet just north of
      the coal tubes on Kingsboro Ave. They were changed to 6-hole instead of
      4-hole. After the short change, they went back to those described above.
      There were two more fish plate changes after that and just before Dennies
      Crossing.

      Mile 13, between Dennies Crossing and Broadalbin Junction, rail changed from
      80# rail to 70# rail, Scranton/Bessimer, 1895 and 1897 manufacturing date.
      This 70# stuff continues all the way to Northville.

      According to the ICC valuation survey, the oldest rails on the FJ&G are as
      follows:

      -One of the branches off Hill Street had 60# Scranton rail from 1879;
      -The two tracks going into the coal shed off of Spring Street had 1879 Troy
      Bessimer 60# rail.
      -A few other examples, such as the Mayfield Quarry lead and a siding in
      Northville, are Troy rail from the late 1880s.

      My guess from these reports is that FJ&G bought rail early on from the Troy
      Iron Works---anybody else know much about this?

      All for now,
      Aaron