Re: [FJGRailroad] oops!

  • Randy & Lorraine Decker
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
      The Kids are happy! I have an old 4Wheel Drive I slap on the plow and do
      battle!!!
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
        It will be like the one in March of '93.Does anyone remembers the storm
        of xmass week in 1966? Mark
      • Dean R. Pausley
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
          Yes, I was stranded at my girlfriends house for 3 days.. it was terrible :))
          Make a long story short, we got married the next year and have been happily
          married for 25 years.
          25 out of 34 isn't bad. Actually, everyone of the 34 have been joyful beyond
          belief. Let it snow, let it snow.

          Dean P.
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
            I understand it usually takes a few years to get it right. Too bad so many
            relationships give up before they get there. Actually, I believe it helps to
            be good friends before the knot is tied. Thirty two years and I too can say
            it's been a good ride. Didn't hurt taking this job down here though.
            Absence does makes the heart grow fonder and certainly determines the
            character of a relationship.

            PKL

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
              I remember that storm well. I had just started working at WTEN in
              Albany but still living at home in G'ville. I had a TR-4 at the time.
              The Thruway was open if you could get through the ramp and then
              through the bank the plow had pushed up on the highway. I plowed
              through the bank and got a half mile and my little Brit car stopped
              dead. It took 2 days to thaw it out in a heated garage.
              Saul

              --- In FJGRailroad@y..., mwilber@w... wrote:
              > It will be like the one in March of '93.Does anyone remembers the
              storm
              > of xmass week in 1966? Mark
            • Randy & Lorraine Decker
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                Well for you old farts! I was 5 and do remember something about candles and
                power outages from the ice that came with it! I also remember all the cars
                with little yelow balls on every antenna! so you could see them over the
                six foot high snowbanks! not like this anymore it seems??

              • mwilber@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                  I wasnt too old,just in seventh grade in school.I remember going out and
                  shoveling for money.Do the kids still do that today?
                  Mark
                • Richard W. Ryall
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                    The cars had yellow balls, the drivers had blue.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                      Interesting I started at WCSS in Amsterdam.way back when..dick

                      skalbfel@... wrote:

                      > I remember that storm well. I had just started working at WTEN in
                      > Albany but still living at home in G'ville. I had a TR-4 at the time.
                      > The Thruway was open if you could get through the ramp and then
                      > through the bank the plow had pushed up on the highway. I plowed
                      > through the bank and got a half mile and my little Brit car stopped
                      > dead. It took 2 days to thaw it out in a heated garage.
                      > Saul
                      >
                      > --- In FJGRailroad@y..., mwilber@w... wrote:
                      > > It will be like the one in March of '93.Does anyone remembers the
                      > storm
                      > > of xmass week in 1966? Mark

                    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                        Yeah but they want 20 bucks and from what my parents experienced a few years
                        ago they sure do a lousy job of it! I guess if I remember the storm of 66
                        then no matter how young I was it makes me a bit of a Fart myself ! But we
                        won't get into this again right? Hey I have a bit of a technical question
                        for this group?? I was thinking ( while peeling another bannana and headed
                        over the horizon) about all this snow and how the trains on the FJ&G seemed
                        to get stuck often on the Sammonsville drifts section in the heavy snow??
                        It seems to me that a plow can get stuck going into this stuff quite easily,
                        if the speed is not just right for the conditions. But I could not figure
                        out why a double headed steam train with a plow and a caboose could not back
                        up, to loosen the plow?? then it hit me! ( right after I threw away the
                        peel) did steam engines have sand pipes toward the back side of the driver
                        wheels as well as the front??? perhaps this is the reason they could not
                        back out of trouble easily?? does anyone care to take a stab at this??

                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                          Yes. Look closely and you may see them. THe reason they couldn't move is
                          that the snow closed in on them like a chinese handcuff. once the snow was
                          around the running gear and in the case of the cuts, touching the sides of
                          the cars, it was near impossible to develope sufficient traction to move.
                          Ask anyone who has tried to lift a string of freight cars off a snowed in
                          siding - frequently have to take them out in pieces.

                          Last winter at Montreal we stalled because the under carriages of the
                          locomotive and cars was touching the build up in between the rails. Had to
                          have another train push us out of there. It felt just like having all wheels
                          on the ground, could not move either way. Of course we were on a curve too
                          which didn't help

                          PKL

                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                            Thanks Paul interesting ?seems like they had steam to melt with and sand
                            ?guess the steel on steel traction was the killer seems hard to belive once
                            you have seen one of these things moving doesn't seem as though anything
                            could stop it !

                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                              Dick,

                              You were a radio person too? We've got some other broadcast veterans
                              on the list! I started on WTRY out of Troy/Schenectady then worked for
                              WPYX and WQBK. I almost had a brain fart and worked for Joey Caruso out
                              of Johnstown on WSRD and WIZR. That would have been a step backwards!

                              Gino DiCarlo
                              ----------------------------------
                              gdicarlo@...
                              Quad Imaging Saratoga
                              x4276

                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                Paul,

                                My last trip on Amtrak to NYC there was a cccrrrrsshhhhh sound the whole
                                way! Was that the sound of snow and ice up against the rail? I've never
                                heard that before!

                                Gino DiCarlo
                                ----------------------------------
                                gdicarlo@...
                                Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                x4276

                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                  Really couldn't say. Could have been the mice scurrying back and forth from
                                  the food service car..

                                  Paul

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                      Lovely Paul. I had lunch that day and it wasn't too bad! Lets
                                      not talk about that little cutie who works the lunch counter!

                                      Gino DiCarlo
                                      ----------------------------------
                                      gdicarlo@...
                                      Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                      x4276

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                        Spent some time last fall in Nelsonville, just out of Cold Spring, cousin and husband live
                                        there, Jim took me to the station in Cold Spring , good place to watch trains, also thre is
                                        a restraunt in the old station in Cold Spring, tables are close to track and trains are
                                        close enough to really get your attention. Wonder if this cousins name would ring any
                                        bells. dick

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                          I started as an announcer at WCSS in Amsterdam, went to WKAL in Rome, and then when in the
                                          Air Force, worked at KGEM in Boise Idaho, When I got out had a job promised at WENT in
                                          G`ville, daughter was ill and could not get back there stayed at KEEP it Twin Falls, then
                                          to KTFI started as announcer, then eventually as GM, then to cable TV , now zip. dick

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                            I too almost came back to WIZR, wanted back in the area , but I guess not that bad, by the
                                            was an old acquaintance Diana Engle worked at WIZR, ever heard of her? dick

                                          • skalbfel@ix.netcom.com
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 8, 2001
                                              I started at WTEV in New Beford, MA and then moved to WTEN in Albany
                                              in 1966, was a studio and transmitter engnr. Moved to NET-TV in Ann
                                              Arbor which was ops center for NET (before PBS. Worked for Producers
                                              Color Service in Detroit until 1985 when I went free lance and starved
                                              for 10 years.
                                              Saul

                                              -

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 8, 2001
                                                Small world in many ways, Ginos sister married my cousins son, or I guess my second cousin,
                                                and a bevy of former broadcasters. dick