Re: [FJGRailroad] oops!

  • Richard W. Ryall
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
      Maybe not however it looks like you guys in the East are going to get a real one starting
      tomorrow,and predicted a foot to two feet of snow in some areas, get your groceries and
      prepare to ride it out. dick

      Randy & Lorraine Decker wrote:

      > No storm up here?? Cept for sunspots! Go'in over the horizon.............
      > check in when I come back around...........!

    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
        The Kids are happy! I have an old 4Wheel Drive I slap on the plow and do
        battle!!!

      • mwilber@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
          It will be like the one in March of '93.Does anyone remembers the storm
          of xmass week in 1966? Mark
        • Dean R. Pausley
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
            Yes, I was stranded at my girlfriends house for 3 days.. it was terrible :))
            Make a long story short, we got married the next year and have been happily
            married for 25 years.
            25 out of 34 isn't bad. Actually, everyone of the 34 have been joyful beyond
            belief. Let it snow, let it snow.

            Dean P.
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
              I understand it usually takes a few years to get it right. Too bad so many
              relationships give up before they get there. Actually, I believe it helps to
              be good friends before the knot is tied. Thirty two years and I too can say
              it's been a good ride. Didn't hurt taking this job down here though.
              Absence does makes the heart grow fonder and certainly determines the
              character of a relationship.

              PKL

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                I remember that storm well. I had just started working at WTEN in
                Albany but still living at home in G'ville. I had a TR-4 at the time.
                The Thruway was open if you could get through the ramp and then
                through the bank the plow had pushed up on the highway. I plowed
                through the bank and got a half mile and my little Brit car stopped
                dead. It took 2 days to thaw it out in a heated garage.
                Saul

                --- In FJGRailroad@y..., mwilber@w... wrote:
                > It will be like the one in March of '93.Does anyone remembers the
                storm
                > of xmass week in 1966? Mark
              • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                  Well for you old farts! I was 5 and do remember something about candles and
                  power outages from the ice that came with it! I also remember all the cars
                  with little yelow balls on every antenna! so you could see them over the
                  six foot high snowbanks! not like this anymore it seems??

                • mwilber@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                    I wasnt too old,just in seventh grade in school.I remember going out and
                    shoveling for money.Do the kids still do that today?
                    Mark
                  • Richard W. Ryall
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                      The cars had yellow balls, the drivers had blue.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                        Interesting I started at WCSS in Amsterdam.way back when..dick

                        skalbfel@... wrote:

                        > I remember that storm well. I had just started working at WTEN in
                        > Albany but still living at home in G'ville. I had a TR-4 at the time.
                        > The Thruway was open if you could get through the ramp and then
                        > through the bank the plow had pushed up on the highway. I plowed
                        > through the bank and got a half mile and my little Brit car stopped
                        > dead. It took 2 days to thaw it out in a heated garage.
                        > Saul
                        >
                        > --- In FJGRailroad@y..., mwilber@w... wrote:
                        > > It will be like the one in March of '93.Does anyone remembers the
                        > storm
                        > > of xmass week in 1966? Mark

                      • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                          Yeah but they want 20 bucks and from what my parents experienced a few years
                          ago they sure do a lousy job of it! I guess if I remember the storm of 66
                          then no matter how young I was it makes me a bit of a Fart myself ! But we
                          won't get into this again right? Hey I have a bit of a technical question
                          for this group?? I was thinking ( while peeling another bannana and headed
                          over the horizon) about all this snow and how the trains on the FJ&G seemed
                          to get stuck often on the Sammonsville drifts section in the heavy snow??
                          It seems to me that a plow can get stuck going into this stuff quite easily,
                          if the speed is not just right for the conditions. But I could not figure
                          out why a double headed steam train with a plow and a caboose could not back
                          up, to loosen the plow?? then it hit me! ( right after I threw away the
                          peel) did steam engines have sand pipes toward the back side of the driver
                          wheels as well as the front??? perhaps this is the reason they could not
                          back out of trouble easily?? does anyone care to take a stab at this??

                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                            Yes. Look closely and you may see them. THe reason they couldn't move is
                            that the snow closed in on them like a chinese handcuff. once the snow was
                            around the running gear and in the case of the cuts, touching the sides of
                            the cars, it was near impossible to develope sufficient traction to move.
                            Ask anyone who has tried to lift a string of freight cars off a snowed in
                            siding - frequently have to take them out in pieces.

                            Last winter at Montreal we stalled because the under carriages of the
                            locomotive and cars was touching the build up in between the rails. Had to
                            have another train push us out of there. It felt just like having all wheels
                            on the ground, could not move either way. Of course we were on a curve too
                            which didn't help

                            PKL

                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                              Thanks Paul interesting ?seems like they had steam to melt with and sand
                              ?guess the steel on steel traction was the killer seems hard to belive once
                              you have seen one of these things moving doesn't seem as though anything
                              could stop it !

                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                Dick,

                                You were a radio person too? We've got some other broadcast veterans
                                on the list! I started on WTRY out of Troy/Schenectady then worked for
                                WPYX and WQBK. I almost had a brain fart and worked for Joey Caruso out
                                of Johnstown on WSRD and WIZR. That would have been a step backwards!

                                Gino DiCarlo
                                ----------------------------------
                                gdicarlo@...
                                Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                x4276

                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                  Paul,

                                  My last trip on Amtrak to NYC there was a cccrrrrsshhhhh sound the whole
                                  way! Was that the sound of snow and ice up against the rail? I've never
                                  heard that before!

                                  Gino DiCarlo
                                  ----------------------------------
                                  gdicarlo@...
                                  Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                  x4276

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                    Really couldn't say. Could have been the mice scurrying back and forth from
                                    the food service car..

                                    Paul

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                        Lovely Paul. I had lunch that day and it wasn't too bad! Lets
                                        not talk about that little cutie who works the lunch counter!

                                        Gino DiCarlo
                                        ----------------------------------
                                        gdicarlo@...
                                        Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                        x4276

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                          Spent some time last fall in Nelsonville, just out of Cold Spring, cousin and husband live
                                          there, Jim took me to the station in Cold Spring , good place to watch trains, also thre is
                                          a restraunt in the old station in Cold Spring, tables are close to track and trains are
                                          close enough to really get your attention. Wonder if this cousins name would ring any
                                          bells. dick

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                            I started as an announcer at WCSS in Amsterdam, went to WKAL in Rome, and then when in the
                                            Air Force, worked at KGEM in Boise Idaho, When I got out had a job promised at WENT in
                                            G`ville, daughter was ill and could not get back there stayed at KEEP it Twin Falls, then
                                            to KTFI started as announcer, then eventually as GM, then to cable TV , now zip. dick

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                              I too almost came back to WIZR, wanted back in the area , but I guess not that bad, by the
                                              was an old acquaintance Diana Engle worked at WIZR, ever heard of her? dick

                                            • skalbfel@ix.netcom.com
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 8, 2001
                                                I started at WTEV in New Beford, MA and then moved to WTEN in Albany
                                                in 1966, was a studio and transmitter engnr. Moved to NET-TV in Ann
                                                Arbor which was ops center for NET (before PBS. Worked for Producers
                                                Color Service in Detroit until 1985 when I went free lance and starved
                                                for 10 years.
                                                Saul

                                                -

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 8, 2001
                                                  Small world in many ways, Ginos sister married my cousins son, or I guess my second cousin,
                                                  and a bevy of former broadcasters. dick