Fonda Photos

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 19, 1999
      Anyone interested in modeling Fonda. I have a series of photos taken in
      about '86 of all the buildings on the north side of the tracks from the
      extreme west end ( the oil company) to the highway overpass. If anyone
      is interested I can scan them and post them in the archives, there is
      about 20 shots total.

      Paul
    • skalbfel@ix.netcom.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 20, 1999
        These pictures might form the makings of a photo essay for either Model Railroader or
        Railroad Model Craftsman. You would have to submit a proposal illustrating
        how the photos and the overall scene would be of interest to modelers. I also have a number of
        pictures of Fonda taken in 1972. In addition,I modeled the twin buildings
        across from the Agway store. One half was the Mohawk Valley Democrat,
        the other side had been torn down when I was in Fonda 2 1/2 years ago. This
        might be an interesting project if several people are interested.

        Saul
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 20, 1999
          Hi Saul,

          Is this the building that is next to the town garage?

          Paul

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 29 4:57 PM
            Hi,

            Just posted 34 jpegs to the Onelist files. These photos were taken by a
            friend, Steve Hunter, back in '87 (or was it 88!). They show all the
            buildings on the north side of the mainline in Fonda, from the
            enginehouse to the overpass. If you're looking for information on
            modeling Fonda, look for the folder named "FondaNYPhotos".

            Paul
          • Saul Kalbfeld
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2000
              #4 On left side of frame FJ&G corrugated engine shed, built mid '70's
              note track.
              #6 In foreground site of FJ&G turntable.
              #8 In foreground foundation of NYC tool and line shed.
              #9 Colonial Restaurant (Porky's) My parents took us to dinner here
              on Sundays. We always sat by that window so I could watch the trains
              1947-1953.
              #10 Mkt site of depot
              #15 Lot site of REA office
              #19-22 Rear of Agway Farm and Feed store. I have many pix of this from
              better days.
              #24-26 Mohawk Valley Democrat. Built model of this 20 yrs ago.
              #26 Empty lot is where adjoining building stood until 1980??
              #32 Parking lot is site of NYC freighthouse. Burned about 1950???
              Saul
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 2, 2000
                With the help of Aaron and Saul, I have changed the file names and
                descriptions to something more appropriate for the 34 photos of Fonda.
                I also added a detailed map of Fonda, made up from 10 maps from the
                USG. The map covers all of Fonda to just north of High Bridge.

                I saved another 30 maps to put together the line to Gloversville, not
                sure if I'll pursue this. The only things in Gloversville that are on
                the map are the mainline, one siding and the "Station". The maps are
                dated 1989, go figure!

                Thanks again for the help with the photos Aaron and Saul, hard to get
                the information from the Great White North!

                Paul
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 15, 2000
                  Hi Glenn,

                  Thanks so much for the excellent information, living up here (Canada) makes it very hard to
                  learn about the area the FJ&G served. May not be modeling the FJ&G, but always like to
                  hear about the little road.

                  Paul