oops!

    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 27, 2001
      Woops,

      Sorry guys! I thought I was replying to Paul's address, not the group's!
      I'm sure you've
      noticed by now, but you've all received the article whether you wanted it or
      not! So Sorry!

      Group Moderator and imbecile!

      Gino DiCarlo
      ----------------------------------
      gdicarlo@...
      Quad Imaging Saratoga
      x4276

    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 27, 2001
        I hate that when I do that! I am going out of communication range now
        over the horizon! will catch you on my next pass by? no more screw ups from
        mission control please! it makes me nervous up here!!
        > Sorry guys! I thought I was replying to Paul's address, not the group's!
        > I'm sure you've
        > noticed by now, but you've all received the article whether you wanted it
        or
        > not! So Sorry!
        >
        > Group Moderator and imbecile!
        >

        > Gino DiCarlo
        > ----------------------------------
        > gdicarlo@...
        > Quad Imaging Saratoga
        > x4276

        > This message has been scanned for viruses with Trend Micro's Interscan
        VirusWall.

        http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

      • Richard W. Ryall
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 3, 2001
          Good luck guys on the snow storm that seems headed your way, take care and I won`t tell you
          what our weather is here. dick

          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 3, 2001
            No storm up here?? Cept for sunspots! Go'in over the horizon.............
            check in when I come back around...........!

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

          • Richard W. Ryall
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
              Maybe not however it looks like you guys in the East are going to get a real one starting
              tomorrow,and predicted a foot to two feet of snow in some areas, get your groceries and
              prepare to ride it out. dick

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
                The Kids are happy! I have an old 4Wheel Drive I slap on the plow and do
                battle!!!

              • mwilber@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 4, 2001
                  It will be like the one in March of '93.Does anyone remembers the storm
                  of xmass week in 1966? Mark
                • Dean R. Pausley
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                    Yes, I was stranded at my girlfriends house for 3 days.. it was terrible :))
                    Make a long story short, we got married the next year and have been happily
                    married for 25 years.
                    25 out of 34 isn't bad. Actually, everyone of the 34 have been joyful beyond
                    belief. Let it snow, let it snow.

                    Dean P.
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                      I understand it usually takes a few years to get it right. Too bad so many
                      relationships give up before they get there. Actually, I believe it helps to
                      be good friends before the knot is tied. Thirty two years and I too can say
                      it's been a good ride. Didn't hurt taking this job down here though.
                      Absence does makes the heart grow fonder and certainly determines the
                      character of a relationship.

                      PKL

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                        I remember that storm well. I had just started working at WTEN in
                        Albany but still living at home in G'ville. I had a TR-4 at the time.
                        The Thruway was open if you could get through the ramp and then
                        through the bank the plow had pushed up on the highway. I plowed
                        through the bank and got a half mile and my little Brit car stopped
                        dead. It took 2 days to thaw it out in a heated garage.
                        Saul

                        --- In FJGRailroad@y..., mwilber@w... wrote:
                        > It will be like the one in March of '93.Does anyone remembers the
                        storm
                        > of xmass week in 1966? Mark
                      • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                          Well for you old farts! I was 5 and do remember something about candles and
                          power outages from the ice that came with it! I also remember all the cars
                          with little yelow balls on every antenna! so you could see them over the
                          six foot high snowbanks! not like this anymore it seems??

                        • mwilber@webtv.net
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                            I wasnt too old,just in seventh grade in school.I remember going out and
                            shoveling for money.Do the kids still do that today?
                            Mark
                          • Richard W. Ryall
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                              The cars had yellow balls, the drivers had blue.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                                Interesting I started at WCSS in Amsterdam.way back when..dick

                                skalbfel@... wrote:

                                > I remember that storm well. I had just started working at WTEN in
                                > Albany but still living at home in G'ville. I had a TR-4 at the time.
                                > The Thruway was open if you could get through the ramp and then
                                > through the bank the plow had pushed up on the highway. I plowed
                                > through the bank and got a half mile and my little Brit car stopped
                                > dead. It took 2 days to thaw it out in a heated garage.
                                > Saul
                                >
                                > --- In FJGRailroad@y..., mwilber@w... wrote:
                                > > It will be like the one in March of '93.Does anyone remembers the
                                > storm
                                > > of xmass week in 1966? Mark

                              • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                                  Yeah but they want 20 bucks and from what my parents experienced a few years
                                  ago they sure do a lousy job of it! I guess if I remember the storm of 66
                                  then no matter how young I was it makes me a bit of a Fart myself ! But we
                                  won't get into this again right? Hey I have a bit of a technical question
                                  for this group?? I was thinking ( while peeling another bannana and headed
                                  over the horizon) about all this snow and how the trains on the FJ&G seemed
                                  to get stuck often on the Sammonsville drifts section in the heavy snow??
                                  It seems to me that a plow can get stuck going into this stuff quite easily,
                                  if the speed is not just right for the conditions. But I could not figure
                                  out why a double headed steam train with a plow and a caboose could not back
                                  up, to loosen the plow?? then it hit me! ( right after I threw away the
                                  peel) did steam engines have sand pipes toward the back side of the driver
                                  wheels as well as the front??? perhaps this is the reason they could not
                                  back out of trouble easily?? does anyone care to take a stab at this??

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                                    Yes. Look closely and you may see them. THe reason they couldn't move is
                                    that the snow closed in on them like a chinese handcuff. once the snow was
                                    around the running gear and in the case of the cuts, touching the sides of
                                    the cars, it was near impossible to develope sufficient traction to move.
                                    Ask anyone who has tried to lift a string of freight cars off a snowed in
                                    siding - frequently have to take them out in pieces.

                                    Last winter at Montreal we stalled because the under carriages of the
                                    locomotive and cars was touching the build up in between the rails. Had to
                                    have another train push us out of there. It felt just like having all wheels
                                    on the ground, could not move either way. Of course we were on a curve too
                                    which didn't help

                                    PKL

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 5, 2001
                                      Thanks Paul interesting ?seems like they had steam to melt with and sand
                                      ?guess the steel on steel traction was the killer seems hard to belive once
                                      you have seen one of these things moving doesn't seem as though anything
                                      could stop it !

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                        Dick,

                                        You were a radio person too? We've got some other broadcast veterans
                                        on the list! I started on WTRY out of Troy/Schenectady then worked for
                                        WPYX and WQBK. I almost had a brain fart and worked for Joey Caruso out
                                        of Johnstown on WSRD and WIZR. That would have been a step backwards!

                                        Gino DiCarlo
                                        ----------------------------------
                                        gdicarlo@...
                                        Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                        x4276

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                          Paul,

                                          My last trip on Amtrak to NYC there was a cccrrrrsshhhhh sound the whole
                                          way! Was that the sound of snow and ice up against the rail? I've never
                                          heard that before!

                                          Gino DiCarlo
                                          ----------------------------------
                                          gdicarlo@...
                                          Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                          x4276

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                            Really couldn't say. Could have been the mice scurrying back and forth from
                                            the food service car..

                                            Paul

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                                Lovely Paul. I had lunch that day and it wasn't too bad! Lets
                                                not talk about that little cutie who works the lunch counter!

                                                Gino DiCarlo
                                                ----------------------------------
                                                gdicarlo@...
                                                Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                                x4276

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                                  Spent some time last fall in Nelsonville, just out of Cold Spring, cousin and husband live
                                                  there, Jim took me to the station in Cold Spring , good place to watch trains, also thre is
                                                  a restraunt in the old station in Cold Spring, tables are close to track and trains are
                                                  close enough to really get your attention. Wonder if this cousins name would ring any
                                                  bells. dick

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                                    I started as an announcer at WCSS in Amsterdam, went to WKAL in Rome, and then when in the
                                                    Air Force, worked at KGEM in Boise Idaho, When I got out had a job promised at WENT in
                                                    G`ville, daughter was ill and could not get back there stayed at KEEP it Twin Falls, then
                                                    to KTFI started as announcer, then eventually as GM, then to cable TV , now zip. dick

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Mar 6, 2001
                                                      I too almost came back to WIZR, wanted back in the area , but I guess not that bad, by the
                                                      was an old acquaintance Diana Engle worked at WIZR, ever heard of her? dick

                                                    • skalbfel@ix.netcom.com
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Mar 8, 2001
                                                        I started at WTEV in New Beford, MA and then moved to WTEN in Albany
                                                        in 1966, was a studio and transmitter engnr. Moved to NET-TV in Ann
                                                        Arbor which was ops center for NET (before PBS. Worked for Producers
                                                        Color Service in Detroit until 1985 when I went free lance and starved
                                                        for 10 years.
                                                        Saul

                                                        -

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Mar 8, 2001
                                                          Small world in many ways, Ginos sister married my cousins son, or I guess my second cousin,
                                                          and a bevy of former broadcasters. dick