Weight of Rail

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 1999
      Speaking again of Track...

      We were discussing a while ago the differences among rail weights used on
      the FJ&G. I almost forgot about this, but I do have a document that would
      help with this.

      Part of the ICC valuation forms we've discussed before was a book on all
      FJ&G track. The book had three parts, to my knowledge. One is a detailed,
      hand-drawn schematic or blueprint, showing every sign and station along the
      track. This is a pictorial drawing with the mainline going up the middle of
      each page, from Fonda to Northville, and each siding and customer shown as
      branches off the mainline.

      The other two "chapters" of the track valuation are STRICT, ACCURATE
      descriptions of every rail, tie plate, and tie on the line. They even go so
      far as to tell what steel mill made the rails, I believe, and what weight
      the rails are. It tells where on the line such rails are used. I have gone
      through this report and it even tells of a few places where the weight and
      type of rail differs even for a few feet on the mainlines and sidings! It's
      VERY detailed. It tells what kind of wood the ties were made out of too.

      I have photocopies of the track diagrams and the valuations of types of
      rails, etc. The report is extremely long but the photocopies are worth
      having.

      I have only the track reports from the ICC valuation. Apparently there are
      several sections to this report:
      (1) the track valuations and schematics, which I have copies of;
      (2) the photos, which Saul copied and which we don't know for sure where the
      originals are (although I have a rough idea);
      (3) the valuations, which Paul Larner has the information from, showing
      miscellaneous property;
      (4) another part referred to in my track schematics, which I presume shows
      diagrams of all signs, whistle posts, and related markings. I have no clue
      where this is now, but considering the August 1979 issue of Model Railroader
      contains virtually the same information eluded to in my schematics, I'll
      guess that the guy who did the MR article at least has a copy of it.

      Just thought I'd pass this along, FYI.