Spur parallel to Foster St. in G'ville

  • skalbfel@xx.xxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 1999
      I never took any pictures of the spur that branched off the main near the Foster
      St. crossing and went north, crossed Foster near the power substation and ended at a mill
      located between Tenth and Eleventh Aves. I know there was activity in the 60's.
      Actually there were a lot of short spurs and sidings in that area including
      a line that went through the yard of the old Burr Lumber Co. on 8th Ave and
      ended at the steam plant of the Robison Smith laundry. The Burr Lumber Co.
      was the site of a disasterous fire in the late 50's, I think. It spread so
      quickly the GFD had to abandon a small pumper. The Wood and Hyde tannery had
      a siding that climbed a short coal trestle. When I took pictures of it 30
      years ago it was in poor condition and I couldn't get enough detail recorded
      to make it a possible modeling subject.
      Saul
    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 15, 1999
        As a model railroader I know just what you are looking for I am looking for
        more stuff constantly out of 1500 shots I have very little on the sidings
        not many people with cameras took photos here they wanted nice shots at
        crossings or at the yards turntables etc. and some of these mills had gates
        that kept kids and the general public out the mill workers could care less
        about the railroad they had work to do and when the trains came it meant
        more work these sidings are going tobe tougher than some of the old engines
        we have been looking for I have been getting a lot of calls on the book
        people who remembered the RR I ask each one for anything they may have no
        matter how obscure the shot may be I am getting new stuff all the time to
        copy and return or to keep I will definetly let you know if I find
        anything new and I will go through some of my other stuff I do have some
        shots that were taken in odd places and will send as soon as I figure out
        the scanner and the printer hang on should be worth the wait Randy
        > I never took any pictures of the spur that branched off the main near the
        Foster
        > St. crossing and went north, crossed Foster near the power substation and
        ended at a mill
        > located between Tenth and Eleventh Aves. I know there was activity in the
        60's.
        > Actually there were a lot of short spurs and sidings in that area
        including
        > a line that went through the yard of the old Burr Lumber Co. on 8th Ave
        and
        > ended at the steam plant of the Robison Smith laundry. The Burr Lumber Co.
        > was the site of a disasterous fire in the late 50's, I think. It spread so
        > quickly the GFD had to abandon a small pumper. The Wood and Hyde tannery
        had
        > a siding that climbed a short coal trestle. When I took pictures of it 30
        > years ago it was in poor condition and I couldn't get enough detail
        recorded
        > to make it a possible modeling subject.
        > Saul
        >
        > > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
        > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
      • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 18, 1999
          Saul,

          My fieinds lived on 8th ave and I was always amazed by all the
          sidings and spurs over there.