Knox

  • skalbfel@ix.netcom.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2001
      So it sounds like there are no Knox family members left in Johnstown.
      I took a roll of pictures of Knox about 1970 but I can't locate the
      negatives. The building has an extension on the northside which must
      have been an add on. The day I was there I think there was a PFE
      mech.
      refrigerator spotted on the siding. I wish I had gotten aound to the
      back, but I didn't. I'd like to see what the back of the building
      looks like. The Knox building is a standard industrial design of the
      1920's. I think the style is called a steel belt design. The pictures
      on the historical web site are interesting for modelers because they
      show how the basic frame of the building was built and then the walls
      and windows were just filled in after. The model I built, shows the
      bricked in windows, but if I were to build it again, I'd leave the
      windows as originally built. What is the status of the family summer
      home on the lake? In 2001 dollars, it sounds like it is worth a
      fortune. I suppose the Knox family were in that same social circle as
      the Hees family and the other industrialists of Fulton County.
      Regards to all,
      Saul
    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 15, 2001
        Yes Saul! it would be hard to come up with a figure on this place it is
        really something to see Huge fireplace in there and wood beams Stone and
        Glass overlooking the lake if I had the Money this would be the House ! Oh
        Well They were world famous from the Gelatine this business must have been
        close to the furtune 500 buch in the early years through the second WW era??
        My Guess is 1920 but if I find the date verified I will drop a note for what
        it's worth Randy
        > So it sounds like there are no Knox family members left in Johnstown.
        > I took a roll of pictures of Knox about 1970 but I can't locate the
        > negatives. The building has an extension on the northside which must
        > have been an add on. The day I was there I think there was a PFE
        > mech.
        > refrigerator spotted on the siding. I wish I had gotten aound to the
        > back, but I didn't. I'd like to see what the back of the building
        > looks like. The Knox building is a standard industrial design of the
        > 1920's. I think the style is called a steel belt design. The pictures
        > on the historical web site are interesting for modelers because they
        > show how the basic frame of the building was built and then the walls
        > and windows were just filled in after. The model I built, shows the
        > bricked in windows, but if I were to build it again, I'd leave the
        > windows as originally built. What is the status of the family summer
        > home on the lake? In 2001 dollars, it sounds like it is worth a
        > fortune. I suppose the Knox family were in that same social circle as
        > the Hees family and the other industrialists of Fulton County.
        > Regards to all,
        > Saul

        http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

      • Stephen G. Myers
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
          The Knox box photo was nice. I enjoy local history and local companies.
          We use a lot of Spray 9 on the railroad that is made in Johnstown also.

          Steve Myers