FW: [Welcome]

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 1999
      Great story Stan!

      ----------
      From: Stanleyb23@...
      To: FJGRailroad@onelist.com, LeeDarshi@...
      Subject: Re: [[FJGRailroad] Welcome]
      Date: Sun, Aug 1, 1999, 5:28 PM

      I was also born in Schenectady. I lived there for the first 8 years of my
      life and moved to NYC in 1937, so I remember seeing the FJ&G bullet cars
      downtown.
      Besides the bullet cars I am particularly interested in cars 176 and 177,
      which were built in the early 20's for the Albany and Southern. One of my
      uncles worked for the A&S as a bookkeeper and occasionally had to ride
      shotgun on the payroll when they took it down the line on a trolley.
      176 and 177 were originally built with poles AND third rail shoes AND a
      pantagraph, as the A&S used all of these modes.
      A&S folded in the late 20's and FJ&G bought those two cars and used them as
      interurbans until they got the bullet cars. Schenectady Railway bought
      other
      A&S cars at that time. When the bridge across the Mohawk River was
      condemned,
      176 and 177 became interurbans once again, as they were double-ended.
      Eventually they were sold to Portland, OR, where they were renumbered 4006
      and 4007 and ran, I believe, until the 50's.
      I came back to Schenectady in 1946 to attend Union College. FJ&G was now
      running buses but they still terminated at the loop around Crescent Park.

      -stan

      Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
      http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/