ICC Pics and Broadalbin

  • skalbfel@xx.xxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 9 8:46 PM
      Regarding the 1928 ICC photos...I'd like to know who has the originals if they
      are not in the hands of the DO. I have the scenery and structure book published
      by the RPI model railroad club. The author, John Nehrich mentions ICC surveys
      of the Boston & Maine, also the Rutland. He's not clear if copies of the
      records were obtained from the government.
      I know someone here with a black
      and white darkroom. Don't expect miracles. Some of the pictures are not
      that good. They may be just slightly out of focus. I copied from the originals
      quickly because since I was only able to borrow the reports for several hours
      and all I had was a simple 35mm camera. Nothing more than a snapshot of a
      snapshot. I'll do a test on several and let you know if the results are
      worth the trouble. The alternative is for me to gradually scan and
      enhance them all with Micrografx Picture Publisher.

      More on Broadalbin

      I have a large group of pictures I took on 10/30/71 all along the line.
      I located a couple of shots showing a car being spotted at the dock at
      Mohawk Furniture in Broadalbin. Prior to the set out, #20 had to run around
      the car on the second track in front of the freight house so it could push
      the car into position. The dock actually crosses Kennyetto Creek that parallels
      the main building. It seemed as if all the other rail facilities on the site
      were unused and this was the main load-unload point. The second track was
      laid with no more than 70# rail on ancient ties. Watching the rails sag, I was
      amazed the engine didn't derail. I mentioned this to a member of the crew
      and he related how one of the engines had slipped off the track in the dead
      of winter years earlier there and they had had to leave the engine idling all
      night until the next day when they could come out with a jack to rerail the
      engine. Fear was that if they had shut it down it would have been difficult
      to restart, as diesel engines cannot be easily started in the cold.
      I don't know what the final count of shippers in Broadalbin was in 1984
      but in the sixties there was supposedly four. I don't know if that included
      the team track located on the NE corner of the intersection of routes
      29 and 30. After I started working in Albany in 1966 I commuted from
      Gloversville for a few months, and it seemed there was occasional activity
      there, I think, lumber being received in 40 or 50 foot boxcars by a local
      dealer located offline.

      Saul
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9 11:08 PM
        That rail at Broadalbin was 56#. There are a few pieces of it lying around
        in the brush and dirt piles. It is probably some of the first steel rail
        laid on the FJ&G, moved to Broadalbin as the 70 and 75 # was laid on the
        hill. There was 80# rail on the Northville line. I suspect this is relay
        from the trolley line, but could have come from another steam road. I
        recall it had bond wires on the ends. I believe the 56# started in the
        swamp (Don't recall the name for the area) between the tool house and Vail's
        Mills. I was taught how to cut rail with a chisel and hammer, by Tony
        Marotta in the Broadalbin yard.

        For some reason I think box carloads of sawdust ?? were shipped off the
        track that switched back beside the furniture factory. There was the coal
        dealer and a feed store, that I can recall.

        PKL

      • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 10 12:02 AM
          Fill us fools in on what 56#, 70 and 75# rail is?

          ----------

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 10 6:59 AM
            The number represents the weight per yard in pounds. A thirty foot piece of
            56# rail weighs 560#, etc. So those short pieces in the former Broadalbin
            yard are manageable.

            PKL

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 10 10:35 AM
              Regarding the ICC photos... I saw a rather large collection a few years ago
              from a man who lives in Florida, and who spends his summers up in Johnstown.
              It sounds similar to what you are referring to, but I'm not sure who took
              the photos originally. This guy got it from another FJ&G collector, and he
              knows he has something valuable...

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 10 6:57 PM
                That's too bad, because they were probably given to the original receiver,
                or taken from the files in an effort to preserve them. He probably got them
                for a token as well because whoever let him have them thought he would
                preserve and share them. God bless him.

                PKL

                >From: "Aaron Keller" <aakeller@...>
                >To: <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
                >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] ICC Pics and Broadalbin
                >Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 13:35:15 -0500
                >
                >Regarding the ICC photos... I saw a rather large collection a few years ago
                >from a man who lives in Florida, and who spends his summers up in
                >Johnstown.
                >It sounds similar to what you are referring to, but I'm not sure who took
                >the photos originally. This guy got it from another FJ&G collector, and he
                >knows he has something valuable...
                >
                >-Aaron

                >Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
                >http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
                ><< text3.html >>
              • Carl Nellis
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 11 9:05 AM
                  Thanks for the explanation. It agrees with info my Dad mentioned. He also
                  mentioned that the track from the Northville branch was used on the
                  Broadalbin branch after being removed during the Northville branch
                  abandonment. He was proud that the businessmen in Northville that paid for
                  the branch didn't do it the cheap but used heavy grade material.