Re: Goodbye

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
      Anyone have an opinion on these comments?

      >Unfortunately, most of what I've seen is people whining about the demise of
      the >FJG and what politicians should have or could
      >have done many years ago but didn't.

      >but to listen to
      >griping about situations that can't be changed is about as much fun as
      hearing >residents of Brooklyn continue to gripe about
      >the Dodgers moving to LA.
    • Carl Nellis
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
        I think a lot of this depends on the FJG you remember. I remember that of
        the 50's and my Dad's tales back to 20's. That was the FJG that was king
        and doing well. But later it was one that was struggling and couldn't live
        up to its past (but what railroad could). I enjoy the photos and
        descriptions of the railroad but not analysis of what (and who) went wrong -
        doesn't make any difference now. Keep the fun stuff coming - the delete key
        does wonders for the rest.

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
          I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about FJ&G's demise, but some
          people asked about it and I just responded with what I've researched.

          Hope I don't come off too negatively.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
            Yes.

            The FJ&G like any corporation is a function of its economics. Heacock gave
            a speech in the '80s where he stated that before they started the company
            they did their homework and they knew where the money was and how the road
            would be made to pay. And pay it did. But after the teens it was slowly
            sinking into red ink. After a long reorganization it emerged and ran
            marginally profitable into the sixties. It provided a service to the mills
            whose owners, and associates, had an interest in the railroad. As long as
            it provided cheap transportation for raw skins, coal and some of the
            chemicals used in the leather business, it had a place. Coleco was a late
            comer and it was the impetus for the final years. For years there was talk
            of a plywood company locating between J and G but we all know that didn't
            happen.

            Walter Rich was in it for the money. State and county money that is. He ran
            it as long as somebody else was paying the bills the company's earnings
            couldn't. He provided a valuable service as long as the community was
            willing to prop up a dead horse. It's economics. Gloversville and
            Johnstown form a text book study of protectionism, tariffs, free trade and
            lies. Read Barbara McMartin's book "The Glove Cities" and Herbert Engel's
            "Shtetl in The Adirondacks" for excellant insight to Gloversville's past and
            present.

            The communities seem to have died. Some of the old money is still there,
            but it's not earned there. As the industrial base died so did the railroad.

            A tourist operation, excellent idea. The FJ&G had all the charm of an East
            Broad Top. But with whose money?

            The history needs to be documented. The whats, whos, whys and whens need to
            be answered objectively and in the context of the community as a whole. It
            was acknowledged long ago and often, that the railroad made Gloversville and
            Johnstown the cities that we think we remember. (Actually the glory years
            were before most of us were born, in the decades each side of the turn of
            the century.) Unfortunately it was G and J that deserted the railroad. But
            they both died together.

            PKL

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 8, 1999
              Nothing wrong with a little fire. Keeps the soul warm.

              >From: "Aaron Keller" <aakeller@...>
              >To: <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
              >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Goodbye
              >Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 00:05:17 -0500
              >
              >I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about FJ&G's demise, but some
              >people asked about it and I just responded with what I've researched.
              >
              >Hope I don't come off too negatively.
              >
              >-Aaron

              >Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
              >http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
              ><< text3.html >>
            • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 8, 1999
                Aaron,

                I replyed personally to the poster of the message and asked him
                to reconsider leaving the list. I told him that we only complain
                about the past every once in a while, but that for the most part,
                we spend time talking about our love for the FJG. I told him
                that complaining makes for good discussions on ALL e-mail lists...

                Gino

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 8, 1999
                  Well said Paul!