Goodbye

  • smberg@erols.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
      When I joined the list about a week ago I thought it might be interesting, particularly since my family came from Gloversville,
      and I've always been fond of the FJG RR.
      Unfortunately, most of what I've seen is people whining about the demise of the FJG and what politicians should have or could
      have done many years ago but didn't.
      Reminiscing, telling tales, sharing pictures and stories about a nice little RR might be enjoyable, especially if someone had
      the skill to develop track, structure or rolling stock plans that could be useful in G, O, HO or N scale, but to listen to
      griping about situations that can't be changed is about as much fun as hearing residents of Brooklyn continue to gripe about
      the Dodgers moving to LA.

      The DeCarlo FJG site is great, the list isn't.

      See ya.
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
        Anyone have an opinion on these comments?

        >Unfortunately, most of what I've seen is people whining about the demise of
        the >FJG and what politicians should have or could
        >have done many years ago but didn't.

        >but to listen to
        >griping about situations that can't be changed is about as much fun as
        hearing >residents of Brooklyn continue to gripe about
        >the Dodgers moving to LA.
      • Carl Nellis
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
          I think a lot of this depends on the FJG you remember. I remember that of
          the 50's and my Dad's tales back to 20's. That was the FJG that was king
          and doing well. But later it was one that was struggling and couldn't live
          up to its past (but what railroad could). I enjoy the photos and
          descriptions of the railroad but not analysis of what (and who) went wrong -
          doesn't make any difference now. Keep the fun stuff coming - the delete key
          does wonders for the rest.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
            I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about FJ&G's demise, but some
            people asked about it and I just responded with what I've researched.

            Hope I don't come off too negatively.

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 7, 1999
              Yes.

              The FJ&G like any corporation is a function of its economics. Heacock gave
              a speech in the '80s where he stated that before they started the company
              they did their homework and they knew where the money was and how the road
              would be made to pay. And pay it did. But after the teens it was slowly
              sinking into red ink. After a long reorganization it emerged and ran
              marginally profitable into the sixties. It provided a service to the mills
              whose owners, and associates, had an interest in the railroad. As long as
              it provided cheap transportation for raw skins, coal and some of the
              chemicals used in the leather business, it had a place. Coleco was a late
              comer and it was the impetus for the final years. For years there was talk
              of a plywood company locating between J and G but we all know that didn't
              happen.

              Walter Rich was in it for the money. State and county money that is. He ran
              it as long as somebody else was paying the bills the company's earnings
              couldn't. He provided a valuable service as long as the community was
              willing to prop up a dead horse. It's economics. Gloversville and
              Johnstown form a text book study of protectionism, tariffs, free trade and
              lies. Read Barbara McMartin's book "The Glove Cities" and Herbert Engel's
              "Shtetl in The Adirondacks" for excellant insight to Gloversville's past and
              present.

              The communities seem to have died. Some of the old money is still there,
              but it's not earned there. As the industrial base died so did the railroad.

              A tourist operation, excellent idea. The FJ&G had all the charm of an East
              Broad Top. But with whose money?

              The history needs to be documented. The whats, whos, whys and whens need to
              be answered objectively and in the context of the community as a whole. It
              was acknowledged long ago and often, that the railroad made Gloversville and
              Johnstown the cities that we think we remember. (Actually the glory years
              were before most of us were born, in the decades each side of the turn of
              the century.) Unfortunately it was G and J that deserted the railroad. But
              they both died together.

              PKL

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 8, 1999
                Nothing wrong with a little fire. Keeps the soul warm.

                >From: "Aaron Keller" <aakeller@...>
                >To: <FJGRailroad@onelist.com>
                >Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Goodbye
                >Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 00:05:17 -0500
                >
                >I don't want to sound like I'm complaining about FJ&G's demise, but some
                >people asked about it and I just responded with what I've researched.
                >
                >Hope I don't come off too negatively.
                >
                >-Aaron

                >Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
                >http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
                ><< text3.html >>
              • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 8, 1999
                  Aaron,

                  I replyed personally to the poster of the message and asked him
                  to reconsider leaving the list. I told him that we only complain
                  about the past every once in a while, but that for the most part,
                  we spend time talking about our love for the FJG. I told him
                  that complaining makes for good discussions on ALL e-mail lists...

                  Gino

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 8, 1999
                    Well said Paul!