Re: FJ&G demise in 1984

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5 8:42 PM
      Saul,

      FJ&G is like most other things in Upstate NY... people start fighting each
      other (in this case the cities and the railroad) and they end up shafting
      each other in the end. There is no winner whatsoever; all we get are two or
      more losers.

      Oh well, nothing we can do about it now... I hope the politics and attitude
      in this region start to change soon.

      -Aaron
    • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6 1:09 AM
        I want to just comment on some of the things that Aaron
        said about Gloversville. He is absolutly right, they don't
        care about anything!!! They had the perfect opportunity and
        did nothing about the railroad. I remember back in 1983
        when the FJG was talking abandonment. Every news article
        you saw spoke of how soon they could tear up the tracks for
        a stupid bike trail. (I like bike trails, but would rather
        have one without destroying history) There was some mention
        about finding a new owner, but like Aaron said, they needed
        some help from The Lazy City of Gloversville Council and their
        politicians. Johnstown and its mayor was talking for a while
        about keeping the tracks intact for their new industrial
        park, but I don't know what happened there. I used to talk
        to the DO train crews on the way home from school and they
        all thought that the railroad could be profitable. The
        thing they needed was help from the city and counties! The
        late Dave Nestle once told me that NE Rail once expressed
        interest in the line and thought that it was in pretty good
        shape. They asked the city councils of Johnstown and
        Gloversville for help with restoring the line and it fell
        on deaf ears. Dave told me that a council member (Buano,
        who also ownes a big trucking firm in Johnstown) was very
        succesfull at keeping rail interest down. I still can't
        believe that the FJG is torn up. It breaks my heart. I'm
        sure many businesses passed over Fulton County because it
        had no railroad. Fulton County should have helped fix
        the FJG back in the late 70's. Oh well, it's too late now.

        Gino

        ----------

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6 6:53 AM
          >Every news article
          >you saw spoke of how soon they could tear up the tracks for
          >a stupid bike trail.

          Yep, I remember them.

          >There was some mention
          >about finding a new owner

          Ron Crowd, owner of the Battenkill Railroad, had a brief conversation about
          the line with Walter Rich, but nothing was decided or accomplished.

          >Johnstown and its mayor was talking for a while
          >about keeping the tracks intact for their new industrial
          >park, but I don't know what happened there.

          They wanted to keep the tracks down as far as the Industrial Park, maybe
          allowing Conrail to serve as a branchline. But then they had a plan to put
          a sewer line underneath the old roadbed and that was the end of that. The
          wastewater treatment facility just south of Johnstown was, at the time, and
          probably still is, legally dumping too much sludge in the Cayadutta Creek
          for the water volume in the creek to handle. So, they proposed running a
          feeder line down the FJ&G roadbed to dump sludge directly into the Mohawk
          River. I know some sewers were build in Broadalbin and around Gloversville
          down the R-of-W, but don't think this section from the treatment plant to
          Fonda was every built.

          >I'm sure many businesses passed over Fulton County because it
          >had no railroad. Fulton County should have helped fix
          >the FJG back in the late 70's. Oh well, it's too late now.

          I've heard of a study which says Gloversville has the least-desirable
          transportation links of any city its size.