FJ&G demise in 1984

  • Saul B. Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 1999
      To Aaron Keller,
      Thank you for your explanation of reasons for the FJ&G demise. Sounds
      like there is more than enough blame
      to go around.
      Saul Kalbfeld
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 1999
        Saul,

        FJ&G is like most other things in Upstate NY... people start fighting each
        other (in this case the cities and the railroad) and they end up shafting
        each other in the end. There is no winner whatsoever; all we get are two or
        more losers.

        Oh well, nothing we can do about it now... I hope the politics and attitude
        in this region start to change soon.

        -Aaron
      • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
          I want to just comment on some of the things that Aaron
          said about Gloversville. He is absolutly right, they don't
          care about anything!!! They had the perfect opportunity and
          did nothing about the railroad. I remember back in 1983
          when the FJG was talking abandonment. Every news article
          you saw spoke of how soon they could tear up the tracks for
          a stupid bike trail. (I like bike trails, but would rather
          have one without destroying history) There was some mention
          about finding a new owner, but like Aaron said, they needed
          some help from The Lazy City of Gloversville Council and their
          politicians. Johnstown and its mayor was talking for a while
          about keeping the tracks intact for their new industrial
          park, but I don't know what happened there. I used to talk
          to the DO train crews on the way home from school and they
          all thought that the railroad could be profitable. The
          thing they needed was help from the city and counties! The
          late Dave Nestle once told me that NE Rail once expressed
          interest in the line and thought that it was in pretty good
          shape. They asked the city councils of Johnstown and
          Gloversville for help with restoring the line and it fell
          on deaf ears. Dave told me that a council member (Buano,
          who also ownes a big trucking firm in Johnstown) was very
          succesfull at keeping rail interest down. I still can't
          believe that the FJG is torn up. It breaks my heart. I'm
          sure many businesses passed over Fulton County because it
          had no railroad. Fulton County should have helped fix
          the FJG back in the late 70's. Oh well, it's too late now.

          Gino

          ----------

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 1999
            >Every news article
            >you saw spoke of how soon they could tear up the tracks for
            >a stupid bike trail.

            Yep, I remember them.

            >There was some mention
            >about finding a new owner

            Ron Crowd, owner of the Battenkill Railroad, had a brief conversation about
            the line with Walter Rich, but nothing was decided or accomplished.

            >Johnstown and its mayor was talking for a while
            >about keeping the tracks intact for their new industrial
            >park, but I don't know what happened there.

            They wanted to keep the tracks down as far as the Industrial Park, maybe
            allowing Conrail to serve as a branchline. But then they had a plan to put
            a sewer line underneath the old roadbed and that was the end of that. The
            wastewater treatment facility just south of Johnstown was, at the time, and
            probably still is, legally dumping too much sludge in the Cayadutta Creek
            for the water volume in the creek to handle. So, they proposed running a
            feeder line down the FJ&G roadbed to dump sludge directly into the Mohawk
            River. I know some sewers were build in Broadalbin and around Gloversville
            down the R-of-W, but don't think this section from the treatment plant to
            Fonda was every built.

            >I'm sure many businesses passed over Fulton County because it
            >had no railroad. Fulton County should have helped fix
            >the FJG back in the late 70's. Oh well, it's too late now.

            I've heard of a study which says Gloversville has the least-desirable
            transportation links of any city its size.