Re: Greetings to All

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 1999
      Thanks for the story Saul!

      ----------

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 1999
        I am familiar with this report, but not all of it. The track valuations and
        schematics were left in the freighthouse and were sent to an archive when
        the building was torn down around 1994.

        The pictures you refer to were not in the safe when the building was torn
        down. My guess is that they either ended up in the hands of a private
        collector, or DO still has them somewhere.

        I've heard complaints from quite a few people about DO taking parts of our
        local history away with them, but hey, DO owned the railroad. As far as
        I'm concerned, they had the right to take their stuff with them. I do know
        they took a variety of old photographs, etc., which I believe are still in
        Cooperstown. They've been helpful to me in the past in providing
        information but they usually don't seem interested in providing copies of
        anything specifically.

        I was told that the US Gov't must have an archived copy of this report
        "somewhere" but I have no clue where it is or how anyone might get copies.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 1999
          The valuations were in several parts. I have heard somewhere, or read, that
          the FJ&G had no right of way maps, which had to be created for the
          valuation. They went to DO, and I believe they still have them. There
          exists a three volume itemization of every item on the FJ&G at the time of
          valuation. They covered all the minutiae. However, there is not one clock
          listed. I know they had them because a Seth Thomas No. 2, from the
          Gloversville station exists (Was stored upstairs in the G'ville freight
          house). Funny how some things can be taken for granted (like wives). The
          capitalization is in another volume which includes the corporate history and
          the best description I've read of the "conspiracy" that turned the "local"
          road over to the Central and then to the Cayadutta group. Includes all
          changes in the capital accounts of all the property "ever" owned by the FJ&G
          and predecessor companies. It also lists a group of expenditures that were
          not capitalized. This is useful, along with newspaper reports and the
          commissioner's reports to reconcile a roster of steam division equipment.
          (So far I've identified 4 locomotives that carried the number 4.) Then there
          is the photographic documentation of equipment and buildings. This must be
          what is being referred to here. Its'pages were copied; the information is
          available. Most of the photos re steam equipment are in the original "Steam
          and Trolley Days" book. I never saw a bridge and buildings book. There are
          bound volumes of the company's annual reports of which I know of one. It's a
          middle volume, reports 36 to 47. They did annual reports, even while the
          company was "privately" held, if you can believe the newspaper record.
          Where are the others?

          I am told the valuation data is archived with old ICC material but I have
          also heard there was a cleaning out, many "obsolete" records being
          discarded. That may be how this Annual report volume came available.

          DO did what any group of collector's does when they have the opportunity,
          they collect and they take it home. To my knowledge they did not destroy or
          squander any historical material. I don't remember if it was Walter Rich or
          his Supt. Jerry ?? who said to me after they acquired the FJ&G that he never
          was on a road that had so few collectibles left. At least that was the gist
          of the conversation.

          By the way, I'm looking for a copy of the Employee timetables published
          during the DO years, nos. 111, etc.. Does anyone have a spare of them they
          will sell or trade. Scan or photocopy would do until something better comes
          along.

          PKL