Greetings to All

  • skalbfel@xx.xxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 1999
      I am Saul Kalbfeld a former resident of Gloversville. I've been in Michigan for 30
      years, but I've always had a great interest in the FJ&G. I have parts of the 1928
      Valuation Survey done by the ICC. I came across this in the old Gloverville freighthouse in
      1971, took it to the library and copied parts on their thermal copier. Wrote
      a letter to DO in Cooperstown several years ago asking about this, but received no reply.
      Does this sound familiar to anyone, I wonder if it survived. There are over 100
      photos of all steam and electric structures which I copied.
      More Later.
      Saul
    • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 1999
        Thanks for the story Saul!

        ----------

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 3, 1999
          I am familiar with this report, but not all of it. The track valuations and
          schematics were left in the freighthouse and were sent to an archive when
          the building was torn down around 1994.

          The pictures you refer to were not in the safe when the building was torn
          down. My guess is that they either ended up in the hands of a private
          collector, or DO still has them somewhere.

          I've heard complaints from quite a few people about DO taking parts of our
          local history away with them, but hey, DO owned the railroad. As far as
          I'm concerned, they had the right to take their stuff with them. I do know
          they took a variety of old photographs, etc., which I believe are still in
          Cooperstown. They've been helpful to me in the past in providing
          information but they usually don't seem interested in providing copies of
          anything specifically.

          I was told that the US Gov't must have an archived copy of this report
          "somewhere" but I have no clue where it is or how anyone might get copies.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 1999
            The valuations were in several parts. I have heard somewhere, or read, that
            the FJ&G had no right of way maps, which had to be created for the
            valuation. They went to DO, and I believe they still have them. There
            exists a three volume itemization of every item on the FJ&G at the time of
            valuation. They covered all the minutiae. However, there is not one clock
            listed. I know they had them because a Seth Thomas No. 2, from the
            Gloversville station exists (Was stored upstairs in the G'ville freight
            house). Funny how some things can be taken for granted (like wives). The
            capitalization is in another volume which includes the corporate history and
            the best description I've read of the "conspiracy" that turned the "local"
            road over to the Central and then to the Cayadutta group. Includes all
            changes in the capital accounts of all the property "ever" owned by the FJ&G
            and predecessor companies. It also lists a group of expenditures that were
            not capitalized. This is useful, along with newspaper reports and the
            commissioner's reports to reconcile a roster of steam division equipment.
            (So far I've identified 4 locomotives that carried the number 4.) Then there
            is the photographic documentation of equipment and buildings. This must be
            what is being referred to here. Its'pages were copied; the information is
            available. Most of the photos re steam equipment are in the original "Steam
            and Trolley Days" book. I never saw a bridge and buildings book. There are
            bound volumes of the company's annual reports of which I know of one. It's a
            middle volume, reports 36 to 47. They did annual reports, even while the
            company was "privately" held, if you can believe the newspaper record.
            Where are the others?

            I am told the valuation data is archived with old ICC material but I have
            also heard there was a cleaning out, many "obsolete" records being
            discarded. That may be how this Annual report volume came available.

            DO did what any group of collector's does when they have the opportunity,
            they collect and they take it home. To my knowledge they did not destroy or
            squander any historical material. I don't remember if it was Walter Rich or
            his Supt. Jerry ?? who said to me after they acquired the FJ&G that he never
            was on a road that had so few collectibles left. At least that was the gist
            of the conversation.

            By the way, I'm looking for a copy of the Employee timetables published
            during the DO years, nos. 111, etc.. Does anyone have a spare of them they
            will sell or trade. Scan or photocopy would do until something better comes
            along.

            PKL