Re: [FJGRailroad] Another stranded boxcar?

    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
      Hi Gina,

      Will do!

      Paul

      "Dicarlo, Gino" wrote:

      > Yes Paul, scan it!
      >
      > Gino DiCarlo
      > ----------------------------------
      > gdicarlo@...
      > Quad Imaging Saratoga
      > x4276

    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
        I may be mistaken but I think this is owned by Apollo Northeast?? They
        have laid claim to the bumper we have been after there as well?? it is, I
        believe, a forty footer as well/

        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000

          OK Paul, what did I miss?  Gina?

          Gino  DiCarlo
          ----------------------------------
          gdicarlo@...
          Quad Imaging Saratoga
          x4276

          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
            Geez...Did I say that!

            I have the article scanned and will be posting it to the group files.
            Question is, I stitched the first two pages together to keep the map in
            one piece and it turned out to be 485 Kb, anyone have a problem with
            that being posted, or should I post the two files separately?

            Paul

            Paul :)

            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
              Hi GinO,

              I was just taking a stab at the unit number, and you are right, the LASB unit was 102. I
              have heard (maybe wrongly though) that the 103 appeared with a similar paint scheme as the
              102, think this was actually the original scheme the SusieQ used when they desielized.

              Paul

              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                Two quickie notes on this, I've uploaded the first two pages of this article, showing the
                LASB map and a model of LASB 102 in a red with gold band. This is what I was referring to
                when I was talking about the original SusieQ paint scheme, although I believe the red
                should be maroon. Secondly, one of the photos on a latter page shows two PC green boxcars,
                I think these are actually FJ&G cars as they appear on the return consist, and of course,
                you cant see ant reporting marks!

                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                  The maroon and gold scheme on the DO engines 100, 101, 102, and 103 was
                  designed by DO. That scheme had nothing to do with the original NYS&W
                  scheme, which was a darker maroon and gray.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                    Lackawaxen and Stourbridge is in extreme northeastern Pennsylvania. The
                    Wayne County, PA Chamber of Commerce operates excursions over the line.
                    It's a pretty area; somewhat isolated from everything else though. It's not
                    on a major interstate or anything like that. If you like taking drives
                    through the country and checking out old railroad towns, you'd have an
                    enjoyable trip down there. Easiest way to get there is, I believe, to go
                    down Interstate-88 to Nineveh and then take the back roads directly south
                    into Honesdale, PA, the present terminus of the line. That's where the
                    enginehouse and freight house are, and where the excursions leave from.

                    You might want to look at the following Website:
                    http://www.waynecountycc.com/

                    The LASB is owned by the State of Pennsylvania and was operated by Delaware
                    Otsego under designated operator status. DO left that operation in the very
                    early 1990s and the state simply contracted it to someplace else. Can't
                    remember exactly who runs it now, but they do still operate freight and
                    passenger trains over that line.

                    I haven't researched this in a while or looked at my notes in the past few
                    years, but I believe #103 was originally used on the LASB and later
                    transferred to FJ&G. I can't remember for certain, though, and I don't have
                    my notes with me to check up on it anytime soon. Work and classes have been
                    taking up 90% of my time and I am starting to lose track of all the FJ&G
                    stuff I used to know by memory.

                    -Aaron
                  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000

                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 14, 2000
                        So FJG/DO 103 must have been on the LASB before the FJG? It is
                        black in the MR article and I think I saw 1988 on the article.
                        My post earlier was that I have pictures of FJG/DO 103 with LASB
                        marks and the pictures are 1981. I'll post them to the Egroup site.
                        I was wondering if 103 went to the LASB after the FJG was abandoned.

                        Gino DiCarlo
                        ----------------------------------
                        gdicarlo@...
                        Quad Imaging Saratoga
                        x4276

                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 14, 2000
                          Morning Gino,

                          Keep in mind that Harold's article could have sat around MR for a few years before they
                          published it, no photos are actually dated.

                          Paul

                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 14, 2000
                            Randy,

                            I referred to it as Hohenforst's because the Hohenforst family owns Apollo
                            Northeast.

                            From: Randy & Lorraine Decker <rldecker@...>
                            To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com <FJGRailroad@egroups.com>
                            Date: Monday, November 13, 2000 5:55 PM

                          • CSXEng@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 14, 2000
                              Hi Gino,
                              I have a picture (slide) of that 102 engine beside the NYS&W round house,
                              if that helps you out.
                              Dave
                            • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 15, 2000
                                Arron I was not correcting you? I do not read your messages! I was
                                responding to Gino I believe?? And yes I am familiar with the Honenforst
                                Family?

                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 15, 2000
                                  Dave,

                                  Are you talking about the LASB 102?

                                  Gino DiCarlo
                                  gdicarlo@...
                                  Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                  x4276

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 15, 2000
                                    Hi Gino,
                                    Yes! In fact I think I took the picture of it when I shot the FJ&G
                                    engines at Little Ferry.
                                    Dave