RE: [FJGRailroad] Another stranded boxcar?

    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
      Yes Paul, scan it!

      Gino DiCarlo
      ----------------------------------
      gdicarlo@...
      Quad Imaging Saratoga
      x4276

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Paul Charland [mailto:p.charlie@...]
      Sent: Monday, November 13, 2000 4:40 PM
      To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com
      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Another stranded boxcar?

      Hi Gino,

      Yes that is the one. If you would like more information, I have an article
      that I could
      scan for you. There is a photo of LASB 103 (I think) in solid black.

      Paul

      "Dicarlo, Gino" wrote:

      > In EL do you mean Erie Lackawanna?
      >
      > Gino DiCarlo
      > ----------------------------------
      > gdicarlo@...
      > Quad Imaging Saratoga
      > x4276

      FJG?

      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
        Hi Gina,

        Will do!

        Paul

        "Dicarlo, Gino" wrote:

        > Yes Paul, scan it!
        >
        > Gino DiCarlo
        > ----------------------------------
        > gdicarlo@...
        > Quad Imaging Saratoga
        > x4276

      • Randy & Lorraine Decker
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
          I may be mistaken but I think this is owned by Apollo Northeast?? They
          have laid claim to the bumper we have been after there as well?? it is, I
          believe, a forty footer as well/

          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000

            OK Paul, what did I miss?  Gina?

            Gino  DiCarlo
            ----------------------------------
            gdicarlo@...
            Quad Imaging Saratoga
            x4276

            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
              Geez...Did I say that!

              I have the article scanned and will be posting it to the group files.
              Question is, I stitched the first two pages together to keep the map in
              one piece and it turned out to be 485 Kb, anyone have a problem with
              that being posted, or should I post the two files separately?

              Paul

              Paul :)

              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                Hi GinO,

                I was just taking a stab at the unit number, and you are right, the LASB unit was 102. I
                have heard (maybe wrongly though) that the 103 appeared with a similar paint scheme as the
                102, think this was actually the original scheme the SusieQ used when they desielized.

                Paul

                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                  Two quickie notes on this, I've uploaded the first two pages of this article, showing the
                  LASB map and a model of LASB 102 in a red with gold band. This is what I was referring to
                  when I was talking about the original SusieQ paint scheme, although I believe the red
                  should be maroon. Secondly, one of the photos on a latter page shows two PC green boxcars,
                  I think these are actually FJ&G cars as they appear on the return consist, and of course,
                  you cant see ant reporting marks!

                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                    The maroon and gold scheme on the DO engines 100, 101, 102, and 103 was
                    designed by DO. That scheme had nothing to do with the original NYS&W
                    scheme, which was a darker maroon and gray.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                      Lackawaxen and Stourbridge is in extreme northeastern Pennsylvania. The
                      Wayne County, PA Chamber of Commerce operates excursions over the line.
                      It's a pretty area; somewhat isolated from everything else though. It's not
                      on a major interstate or anything like that. If you like taking drives
                      through the country and checking out old railroad towns, you'd have an
                      enjoyable trip down there. Easiest way to get there is, I believe, to go
                      down Interstate-88 to Nineveh and then take the back roads directly south
                      into Honesdale, PA, the present terminus of the line. That's where the
                      enginehouse and freight house are, and where the excursions leave from.

                      You might want to look at the following Website:
                      http://www.waynecountycc.com/

                      The LASB is owned by the State of Pennsylvania and was operated by Delaware
                      Otsego under designated operator status. DO left that operation in the very
                      early 1990s and the state simply contracted it to someplace else. Can't
                      remember exactly who runs it now, but they do still operate freight and
                      passenger trains over that line.

                      I haven't researched this in a while or looked at my notes in the past few
                      years, but I believe #103 was originally used on the LASB and later
                      transferred to FJ&G. I can't remember for certain, though, and I don't have
                      my notes with me to check up on it anytime soon. Work and classes have been
                      taking up 90% of my time and I am starting to lose track of all the FJ&G
                      stuff I used to know by memory.

                      -Aaron
                    • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000

                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 14, 2000
                          So FJG/DO 103 must have been on the LASB before the FJG? It is
                          black in the MR article and I think I saw 1988 on the article.
                          My post earlier was that I have pictures of FJG/DO 103 with LASB
                          marks and the pictures are 1981. I'll post them to the Egroup site.
                          I was wondering if 103 went to the LASB after the FJG was abandoned.

                          Gino DiCarlo
                          ----------------------------------
                          gdicarlo@...
                          Quad Imaging Saratoga
                          x4276

                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 14, 2000
                            Morning Gino,

                            Keep in mind that Harold's article could have sat around MR for a few years before they
                            published it, no photos are actually dated.

                            Paul

                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 14, 2000
                              Randy,

                              I referred to it as Hohenforst's because the Hohenforst family owns Apollo
                              Northeast.

                              From: Randy & Lorraine Decker <rldecker@...>
                              To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com <FJGRailroad@egroups.com>
                              Date: Monday, November 13, 2000 5:55 PM

                            • CSXEng@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 14, 2000
                                Hi Gino,
                                I have a picture (slide) of that 102 engine beside the NYS&W round house,
                                if that helps you out.
                                Dave
                              • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 15, 2000
                                  Arron I was not correcting you? I do not read your messages! I was
                                  responding to Gino I believe?? And yes I am familiar with the Honenforst
                                  Family?

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 15, 2000
                                    Dave,

                                    Are you talking about the LASB 102?

                                    Gino DiCarlo
                                    gdicarlo@...
                                    Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                    x4276

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 15, 2000
                                      Hi Gino,
                                      Yes! In fact I think I took the picture of it when I shot the FJ&G
                                      engines at Little Ferry.
                                      Dave