RE: [FJGRailroad] Another stranded boxcar?

    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
      In EL do you mean Erie Lackawanna?

      Gino DiCarlo
      ----------------------------------
      gdicarlo@...
      Quad Imaging Saratoga
      x4276

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Paul Charland [mailto:p.charlie@...]
      Sent: Monday, November 13, 2000 4:00 PM
      To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com
      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Another stranded boxcar?

      Hi Gino,

      The LASB was and may still be in north eastern Pennsylvania, south of the
      D&H, connecting
      to the EL at Lackawexan along the shores of the Susquehanna River.

      Paul

      "Dicarlo, Gino" wrote:

      > Where was the Lackawaxen and Stourbridge? Paul gave me some shots of
      Number
      > 100
      > and 103 and one of them has the LASB letters on it. Probably right before
      > she
      > was re-lettered FJG! Was she supposed to go the LASB instead of the FJG?
      >
      > Gino DiCarlo
      > ----------------------------------
      > gdicarlo@...
      > Quad Imaging Saratoga
      > x4276

      Granted,
      > Lackawaxen and Stourbridge was another DO road at the time, and the car
      was
      > purchased in the same lot from Penn Central, but it does make a
      difference.
      > The City's boxcar is a 50-foot car and the LASB one left on West Fulton
      > Street is a 40-foot car.
      >
      > The old LASB car was sold to Hohenforst's around 1988 for cheap storage.
      > The Verkleirs bought some at that time, as did GO Oil in Fonda. Anybody
      > could have bought the cars back then; it was cheaper to sell them right
      off
      > the line than it was to repair them to be hauled them away on Conrail.
      Some
      > of the cars were too rough to be repaired; those are the ones that were
      sold
      > or scrapped on site.
      >
      > -Aaron

      > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

      > This message has been scanned for viruses with Trend Micro's Interscan
      VirusWall.

      http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

      Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
      http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/

      http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

      in New York State at
      http://ny.existingstations.com/

      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
        Hi Gino,

        Yes that is the one. If you would like more information, I have an article that I could
        scan for you. There is a photo of LASB 103 (I think) in solid black.

        Paul

        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
          Yes Paul, scan it!

          Gino DiCarlo
          ----------------------------------
          gdicarlo@...
          Quad Imaging Saratoga
          x4276

          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
            Hi Gina,

            Will do!

            Paul

            "Dicarlo, Gino" wrote:

            > Yes Paul, scan it!
            >
            > Gino DiCarlo
            > ----------------------------------
            > gdicarlo@...
            > Quad Imaging Saratoga
            > x4276

          • Randy & Lorraine Decker
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
              I may be mistaken but I think this is owned by Apollo Northeast?? They
              have laid claim to the bumper we have been after there as well?? it is, I
              believe, a forty footer as well/

              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000

                OK Paul, what did I miss?  Gina?

                Gino  DiCarlo
                ----------------------------------
                gdicarlo@...
                Quad Imaging Saratoga
                x4276

                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                  Geez...Did I say that!

                  I have the article scanned and will be posting it to the group files.
                  Question is, I stitched the first two pages together to keep the map in
                  one piece and it turned out to be 485 Kb, anyone have a problem with
                  that being posted, or should I post the two files separately?

                  Paul

                  Paul :)

                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                    Hi GinO,

                    I was just taking a stab at the unit number, and you are right, the LASB unit was 102. I
                    have heard (maybe wrongly though) that the 103 appeared with a similar paint scheme as the
                    102, think this was actually the original scheme the SusieQ used when they desielized.

                    Paul

                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                      Two quickie notes on this, I've uploaded the first two pages of this article, showing the
                      LASB map and a model of LASB 102 in a red with gold band. This is what I was referring to
                      when I was talking about the original SusieQ paint scheme, although I believe the red
                      should be maroon. Secondly, one of the photos on a latter page shows two PC green boxcars,
                      I think these are actually FJ&G cars as they appear on the return consist, and of course,
                      you cant see ant reporting marks!

                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                        The maroon and gold scheme on the DO engines 100, 101, 102, and 103 was
                        designed by DO. That scheme had nothing to do with the original NYS&W
                        scheme, which was a darker maroon and gray.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                          Lackawaxen and Stourbridge is in extreme northeastern Pennsylvania. The
                          Wayne County, PA Chamber of Commerce operates excursions over the line.
                          It's a pretty area; somewhat isolated from everything else though. It's not
                          on a major interstate or anything like that. If you like taking drives
                          through the country and checking out old railroad towns, you'd have an
                          enjoyable trip down there. Easiest way to get there is, I believe, to go
                          down Interstate-88 to Nineveh and then take the back roads directly south
                          into Honesdale, PA, the present terminus of the line. That's where the
                          enginehouse and freight house are, and where the excursions leave from.

                          You might want to look at the following Website:
                          http://www.waynecountycc.com/

                          The LASB is owned by the State of Pennsylvania and was operated by Delaware
                          Otsego under designated operator status. DO left that operation in the very
                          early 1990s and the state simply contracted it to someplace else. Can't
                          remember exactly who runs it now, but they do still operate freight and
                          passenger trains over that line.

                          I haven't researched this in a while or looked at my notes in the past few
                          years, but I believe #103 was originally used on the LASB and later
                          transferred to FJ&G. I can't remember for certain, though, and I don't have
                          my notes with me to check up on it anytime soon. Work and classes have been
                          taking up 90% of my time and I am starting to lose track of all the FJ&G
                          stuff I used to know by memory.

                          -Aaron
                        • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000

                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 14, 2000
                              So FJG/DO 103 must have been on the LASB before the FJG? It is
                              black in the MR article and I think I saw 1988 on the article.
                              My post earlier was that I have pictures of FJG/DO 103 with LASB
                              marks and the pictures are 1981. I'll post them to the Egroup site.
                              I was wondering if 103 went to the LASB after the FJG was abandoned.

                              Gino DiCarlo
                              ----------------------------------
                              gdicarlo@...
                              Quad Imaging Saratoga
                              x4276

                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 14, 2000
                                Morning Gino,

                                Keep in mind that Harold's article could have sat around MR for a few years before they
                                published it, no photos are actually dated.

                                Paul

                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 14, 2000
                                  Randy,

                                  I referred to it as Hohenforst's because the Hohenforst family owns Apollo
                                  Northeast.

                                  From: Randy & Lorraine Decker <rldecker@...>
                                  To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com <FJGRailroad@egroups.com>
                                  Date: Monday, November 13, 2000 5:55 PM

                                • CSXEng@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 14, 2000
                                    Hi Gino,
                                    I have a picture (slide) of that 102 engine beside the NYS&W round house,
                                    if that helps you out.
                                    Dave
                                  • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 15, 2000
                                      Arron I was not correcting you? I do not read your messages! I was
                                      responding to Gino I believe?? And yes I am familiar with the Honenforst
                                      Family?

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 15, 2000
                                        Dave,

                                        Are you talking about the LASB 102?

                                        Gino DiCarlo
                                        gdicarlo@...
                                        Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                        x4276

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 15, 2000
                                          Hi Gino,
                                          Yes! In fact I think I took the picture of it when I shot the FJ&G
                                          engines at Little Ferry.
                                          Dave