RE: [FJGRailroad] Another stranded boxcar?

    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
      Andy,

      The boxcar I was referring to is right down the street from Randy's boxcar!
      It is in a parking lot on Fulton Street and Broad. It's right across the
      street
      from the old shops. It is in very bad shape though.

      Gino DiCarlo
      ----------------------------------
      gdicarlo@...
      Quad Imaging Saratoga
      x4276

      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
        This car you're referring to was purchased by the LASB, not FJ&G. Granted,
        Lackawaxen and Stourbridge was another DO road at the time, and the car was
        purchased in the same lot from Penn Central, but it does make a difference.
        The City's boxcar is a 50-foot car and the LASB one left on West Fulton
        Street is a 40-foot car.

        The old LASB car was sold to Hohenforst's around 1988 for cheap storage.
        The Verkleirs bought some at that time, as did GO Oil in Fonda. Anybody
        could have bought the cars back then; it was cheaper to sell them right off
        the line than it was to repair them to be hauled them away on Conrail. Some
        of the cars were too rough to be repaired; those are the ones that were sold
        or scrapped on site.

        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
          Where was the Lackawaxen and Stourbridge? Paul gave me some shots of Number
          100
          and 103 and one of them has the LASB letters on it. Probably right before
          she
          was re-lettered FJG! Was she supposed to go the LASB instead of the FJG?

          Gino DiCarlo
          ----------------------------------
          gdicarlo@...
          Quad Imaging Saratoga
          x4276

          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
            Hi Gino,

            The LASB was and may still be in north eastern Pennsylvania, south of the D&H, connecting
            to the EL at Lackawexan along the shores of the Susquehanna River.

            Paul

            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
              In EL do you mean Erie Lackawanna?

              Gino DiCarlo
              ----------------------------------
              gdicarlo@...
              Quad Imaging Saratoga
              x4276

              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                Hi Gino,

                Yes that is the one. If you would like more information, I have an article that I could
                scan for you. There is a photo of LASB 103 (I think) in solid black.

                Paul

                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                  Yes Paul, scan it!

                  Gino DiCarlo
                  ----------------------------------
                  gdicarlo@...
                  Quad Imaging Saratoga
                  x4276

                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                    Hi Gina,

                    Will do!

                    Paul

                    "Dicarlo, Gino" wrote:

                    > Yes Paul, scan it!
                    >
                    > Gino DiCarlo
                    > ----------------------------------
                    > gdicarlo@...
                    > Quad Imaging Saratoga
                    > x4276

                  • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                      I may be mistaken but I think this is owned by Apollo Northeast?? They
                      have laid claim to the bumper we have been after there as well?? it is, I
                      believe, a forty footer as well/

                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000

                        OK Paul, what did I miss?  Gina?

                        Gino  DiCarlo
                        ----------------------------------
                        gdicarlo@...
                        Quad Imaging Saratoga
                        x4276

                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                          Geez...Did I say that!

                          I have the article scanned and will be posting it to the group files.
                          Question is, I stitched the first two pages together to keep the map in
                          one piece and it turned out to be 485 Kb, anyone have a problem with
                          that being posted, or should I post the two files separately?

                          Paul

                          Paul :)

                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                            Hi GinO,

                            I was just taking a stab at the unit number, and you are right, the LASB unit was 102. I
                            have heard (maybe wrongly though) that the 103 appeared with a similar paint scheme as the
                            102, think this was actually the original scheme the SusieQ used when they desielized.

                            Paul

                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                              Two quickie notes on this, I've uploaded the first two pages of this article, showing the
                              LASB map and a model of LASB 102 in a red with gold band. This is what I was referring to
                              when I was talking about the original SusieQ paint scheme, although I believe the red
                              should be maroon. Secondly, one of the photos on a latter page shows two PC green boxcars,
                              I think these are actually FJ&G cars as they appear on the return consist, and of course,
                              you cant see ant reporting marks!

                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                                The maroon and gold scheme on the DO engines 100, 101, 102, and 103 was
                                designed by DO. That scheme had nothing to do with the original NYS&W
                                scheme, which was a darker maroon and gray.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000
                                  Lackawaxen and Stourbridge is in extreme northeastern Pennsylvania. The
                                  Wayne County, PA Chamber of Commerce operates excursions over the line.
                                  It's a pretty area; somewhat isolated from everything else though. It's not
                                  on a major interstate or anything like that. If you like taking drives
                                  through the country and checking out old railroad towns, you'd have an
                                  enjoyable trip down there. Easiest way to get there is, I believe, to go
                                  down Interstate-88 to Nineveh and then take the back roads directly south
                                  into Honesdale, PA, the present terminus of the line. That's where the
                                  enginehouse and freight house are, and where the excursions leave from.

                                  You might want to look at the following Website:
                                  http://www.waynecountycc.com/

                                  The LASB is owned by the State of Pennsylvania and was operated by Delaware
                                  Otsego under designated operator status. DO left that operation in the very
                                  early 1990s and the state simply contracted it to someplace else. Can't
                                  remember exactly who runs it now, but they do still operate freight and
                                  passenger trains over that line.

                                  I haven't researched this in a while or looked at my notes in the past few
                                  years, but I believe #103 was originally used on the LASB and later
                                  transferred to FJ&G. I can't remember for certain, though, and I don't have
                                  my notes with me to check up on it anytime soon. Work and classes have been
                                  taking up 90% of my time and I am starting to lose track of all the FJ&G
                                  stuff I used to know by memory.

                                  -Aaron
                                • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 13, 2000

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 14, 2000
                                      So FJG/DO 103 must have been on the LASB before the FJG? It is
                                      black in the MR article and I think I saw 1988 on the article.
                                      My post earlier was that I have pictures of FJG/DO 103 with LASB
                                      marks and the pictures are 1981. I'll post them to the Egroup site.
                                      I was wondering if 103 went to the LASB after the FJG was abandoned.

                                      Gino DiCarlo
                                      ----------------------------------
                                      gdicarlo@...
                                      Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                      x4276

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 14, 2000
                                        Morning Gino,

                                        Keep in mind that Harold's article could have sat around MR for a few years before they
                                        published it, no photos are actually dated.

                                        Paul

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 14, 2000
                                          Randy,

                                          I referred to it as Hohenforst's because the Hohenforst family owns Apollo
                                          Northeast.

                                          From: Randy & Lorraine Decker <rldecker@...>
                                          To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com <FJGRailroad@egroups.com>
                                          Date: Monday, November 13, 2000 5:55 PM

                                        • CSXEng@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Nov 14, 2000
                                            Hi Gino,
                                            I have a picture (slide) of that 102 engine beside the NYS&W round house,
                                            if that helps you out.
                                            Dave
                                          • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Nov 15, 2000
                                              Arron I was not correcting you? I do not read your messages! I was
                                              responding to Gino I believe?? And yes I am familiar with the Honenforst
                                              Family?

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Nov 15, 2000
                                                Dave,

                                                Are you talking about the LASB 102?

                                                Gino DiCarlo
                                                gdicarlo@...
                                                Quad Imaging Saratoga
                                                x4276

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Nov 15, 2000
                                                  Hi Gino,
                                                  Yes! In fact I think I took the picture of it when I shot the FJ&G
                                                  engines at Little Ferry.
                                                  Dave