Hi everybody, and hats!!!

  • Howard Reed
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2000
      Hi everyone, I am Howard Reed and I just discovered this list this past
      weekend. A very pleasant surprise! Anyway, I grew up in Mayfield and have
      loved trains including the FJ&G all my life. It is great to see this active
      group of people keeping the memory of what I feel was one of the most unique
      transportation system to ever exist, alive. Some of the names I see on the
      messages are familiar. About 25 years ago, I was president of the Adirondack
      & Southern Model Railroad Club, which was located on Main Street
      Gloversville. I know that the Deckers were members at that time. Does
      anybody know what ever happened to that club?

      Anyway I moved away after graduation from college and have been teaching at
      SUNY College of Technology at Delhi since the early eighties. For a time I
      was very active in the Delaware and Uslter Railroad, a tourist line on the
      old U&D in Arkville, NY. A real nice little operation. I do not know if you
      are aware of this, but they own 2 old FJ&G boxcars!!!! Last time I saw them,
      they were still painted in PC green with the FGJ markings. They use them at
      least once a year for a freight train on their railfan day which is usually
      in September. I worked there when they purchased them, which is one reason
      they bought F&JG cars.

      Also I see there will be hats and t-shirts available? When? How much? I am
      interested.

      Anyway, I hope to post every once in a while and I look forward to reading
      many interesting post!!!

      Howard Reed
      5 High Street
      Oneonta, NY 13820-1715

      reedhe@...
      (607)432-5870
    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2000
        Howard ! God to here from you been a while!! The Adirondack &
        Southern is most likely not opperational at this point but it is still all
        there!! I have been trying to get the Abdella's to let me use some of the
        track and transformers & etc. for the box car museum project?? so far I am
        not getting to far?? But I have only asked informally and intend to pursue
        this more as the spring returns again this next year. Interest dwindled
        and work made traveling to the club hard for me and apparently some of the
        others who were still keeping it going some years back?? Glad to here you
        want a Hat and possibly a tee shirt as well I can get tee shirts again
        and the Hats will be going to the embroyderer's as soon as UI reach my Goal
        of 25 !!! I am now at thirteen if you want one hat and it goes up from
        there?? Again great to here from you again Howard Sure wish we had the
        track still down from thr FJ&G but the Museum will hopefully have a good HO
        scale representation of this little line when we are done ?? Randy let me
        klnow about the hats Howard my email is rldecker@...

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2000
          Hi Howard! This is Gino, moderator of the group. I've been meaning to
          welcome you aboard and to ask you to tell us a little about yourself. I'm
          glad you did so on your own. We're glad to have you on with us. So, you
          teach at SUNY Delhi? My brother and sister graduated from there years ago.
          Delhi is a neat little town. A big rail history there too. I have been
          to the D & U and find it a classic little operation. I brought my son down
          there last year to see Thomas The Tank Engine and unfortunately their rides
          were all sold out. I drove 2.5 hours and didn't even get a ride. I plan
          on visiting there again. Once again, welcome to the list...

          Gino DiCarlo
          ----------------------------------
          gdicarlo@...
          Quad Imaging Saratoga
          x4276

[...]

          Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
          http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/

          http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

          in New York State at
          http://ny.existingstations.com/

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2000
            Hi Pete, you're up early!!! Yes, it was worth the drive for my son to
            see Thomas up close. I just wanted to ride the tour train. It's pretty
            neat at the D&U. Have you ever been there? It's a cozy little line that
            reminds me a little bit of the FJG. Did you ride Thomas down at the
            Strasburg
            Railroad? I plan on heading down there sometime in the future. That place
            looks great...

            Gino DiCarlo
            ----------------------------------
            gdicarlo@...
            Quad Imaging Saratoga
            x4276

            we rode on thomas down here==it wasn't that exciting for the kids---but
            seeing him was
            > Hi Howard! This is Gino, moderator of the group. I've been meaning to
            > welcome you aboard and to ask you to tell us a little about yourself. I'm
            > glad you did so on your own. We're glad to have you on with us. So, you
            > teach at SUNY Delhi? My brother and sister graduated from there years
            ago.
            > Delhi is a neat little town. A big rail history there too. I have been
            > to the D & U and find it a classic little operation. I brought my son
            down
            > there last year to see Thomas The Tank Engine and unfortunately their
            rides
            > were all sold out. I drove 2.5 hours and didn't even get a ride. I plan
            > on visiting there again. Once again, welcome to the list...
            >
            > Gino DiCarlo
            > gdicarlo@...
            > Quad Imaging Saratoga
            > x4276