Spring Switches

  • Glenn Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2000
      Other than the wye at the NYC station in Fonda, did the Electric
      Division have any spring switches? If so, where? Were there
      instances where manually operated switches became spring switches?
      Or vice-versa? On the extant track plans, would this be indicated by
      an "S" or similar marking?

      I first encountered them when I lived in South Bend and watched South
      Shore passenger runs slam through the ones in New Carlisle at flank
      speed. There was this noise which I couldn't identify until I looked
      at the switch mechanism - yeah, spring switch! Determining the
      proper strength of the spring must have been fascinating (blatant
      opening for all Mechanical Engineers to reply).

      Glenn