CP Rail

  • Gino DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 9, 2000
      There's an article in today's (10/9/2000) Times Union about Saratoga County
      residents complaints with idling trains. It seems that freights sit in
      certain places around Ballston Spa and Mechanicville. Sometimes trains sit
      for as long as 36 hours. residents are concerned with the pollution that
      the engines create and the noise from all the rumbling. Residents aren't
      sure why the trains have to keep idling. CP tells them that it's harder to
      get them started again and if you shut the engine down, you lose the air in
      the brakes. It's a tedious process to build the pressure back up in each
      car. The reason for the engines sitting in one spot for so long is
      scheduling reasons. What I don't understand is how the crews get back to
      the office if their engine is sitting for hours and hours. I see CP trains
      sitting near my house (Subject of the complaints) for more than a day and
      I wonder what happens to the crew! An interesting article anyhow...

      Gino DiCarlo
      gdicarlo@...
      Quad Imaging Saratoga
      x4276
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 9, 2000
        When leaving trains for extended periods of time, crews taxi back to the
        yard in vans that are hired by the railroad. This is a fairly common
        practice among all the railroads in the area.

        >There's an article in today's (10/9/2000) Times Union about Saratoga County
        >residents complaints with idling trains. It seems that freights sit in
        >certain places around Ballston Spa and Mechanicville. Sometimes trains sit
        >for as long as 36 hours. residents are concerned with the pollution that
        >the engines create and the noise from all the rumbling. Residents aren't
        >sure why the trains have to keep idling. CP tells them that it's harder to
        >get them started again and if you shut the engine down, you lose the air in
        >the brakes. It's a tedious process to build the pressure back up in each
        >car. The reason for the engines sitting in one spot for so long is
        >scheduling reasons. What I don't understand is how the crews get back to
        >the office if their engine is sitting for hours and hours. I see CP trains
        >sitting near my house (Subject of the complaints) for more than a day and
        >I wonder what happens to the crew! An interesting article anyhow...
        >
        >Gino
        >
        >--
        >Gino DiCarlo
        >gdicarlo@...
        >Quad Imaging Saratoga
        >x4276
        >

        >Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
        >http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/
        >
        >Visit The Greater Capital District Railfan Assocation At
        http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

        >Visit The Site For Existing Railroad Stations
        >in New York State at
        >http://ny.existingstations.com/

      • Gino DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 9, 2000
          > When leaving trains for extended periods of time, crews taxi back to the
          > yard in vans that are hired by the railroad. This is a fairly common
          > practice among all the railroads in the area.

          Come to think of it, I think the DO version of the FJG literally used Taxis
          to get the crews back to their cars in Fonda or Gloversville. I think if
          the FJG train crews were running late and were in Broadalbin, instead of
          the DO paying them O.T., they would get a taxi from Broadalbin back to where
          they started. They would return in the morning and finish up...

          Gino
        • Randy & Lorraine Decker
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 9, 2000
            Never thought of that one Gino should be some interesting answers I know
            some train engineers who are spoiled with passenger platforms!!!

            > There's an article in today's (10/9/2000) Times Union about Saratoga
            County
            > residents complaints with idling trains. It seems that freights sit in
            > certain places around Ballston Spa and Mechanicville. Sometimes trains
            sit
            > for as long as 36 hours. residents are concerned with the pollution that
            > the engines create and the noise from all the rumbling. Residents aren't
            > sure why the trains have to keep idling. CP tells them that it's harder
            > get them started again and if you shut the engine down, you lose the air
            in
            > the brakes. It's a tedious process to build the pressure back up in each
            > car. The reason for the engines sitting in one spot for so long is
            > scheduling reasons. What I don't understand is how the crews get back to
            > the office if their engine is sitting for hours and hours. I see CP
            trains
            > sitting near my house (Subject of the complaints) for more than a day and
            > I wonder what happens to the crew! An interesting article anyhow...
            >
            > Gino
            >
            > --
            > Gino DiCarlo
            > gdicarlo@...
            > Quad Imaging Saratoga
            > x4276

            http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

          • Randy & Lorraine Decker
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2000
              Sounds like a hell of a way to run a railroad?? That would have made a
              great shot!! I could have used, with the crew getting into a Taxi with the
              engine and cars sitting in the background!!! That is funny!!

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 9, 2000
                THere's a crew shortage and this is a a good time to hire out if you can
                stand a railroad career (actually if your family can last through one).

                PKL

                http://profiles.msn.com