model kits for museum

  • Tim Germain
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2000
      I have two Thrall 4-door cars that I found at a train show. I would
      like to get them repainted for the FJ&G. I would be willing to
      donate
      one to the museum if I could get the other repainted. I'd do it
      myself but, unfortunately, don't have the materials to do so. Any
      takers?

      Randy, I'd love to help out with some kits. I need to get back into
      the hobby. Maybe it'll rub off onto the kids. At this time car kits
      would be the best. (I'm a fairly-new beginner to the hobby.) I am
      planning to be in the Gloversville area again in May 2001. I hope
      I'll be able to see the box car and park then. When do you think it
      will be ready for visitors?

      Tim
    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2000
        Great I am happy to see someone getting involved here! It is hard to say
        when it will officialy open we will be there for some time Myself and my
        brother Lew have been doing all the work so it is time consuming and we are
        only there once a week? I have a great railroad historian helping from
        time to time Mr. Glynn Cady he has helped ewith some of the painting and
        will be with me on the layout framework I want to model all the stations
        and although I would like to model the Heyday period near the turn of the
        century I am going to place any rolling stock I can get my hands on in the
        layout!! So Yes by all means get that car repainted for the FJ&G I
        Really do not want the DO or the CCV These cars or etc. would be great in a
        case along side of the Layout though and welcome for this purpose! When
        we are done there will most likely be Alco S-2's right along side the early
        steamers!! it will be quite a site to see and let me know if you have a
        specific model in mind I my be able to help with materials or even a kit??
        We have limited funds to work with and the memorial fund for the box car
        in my Dad's name helped us out a lot but this will not last long.

      • fusco@baldcom.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2000
          --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, "Tim Germain" <tim_germain@h...>
          wrote:
          > I have two Thrall 4-door cars that I found at a train show. I
          would
          > like to get them repainted for the FJ&G. I would be willing to
          > donate
          > one to the museum if I could get the other repainted. I'd do it
          > myself but, unfortunately, don't have the materials to do so. Any
          > takers?
          >
          > Randy, I'd love to help out with some kits. I need to get back
          into
          > the hobby. Maybe it'll rub off onto the kids. At this time car
          kits
          > would be the best. (I'm a fairly-new beginner to the hobby.) I am
          > planning to be in the Gloversville area again in May 2001. I hope
          > I'll be able to see the box car and park then. When do you think
          it
          > will be ready for visitors?
          >
          > Tim

          Dear Tim Germain:
          I'd be willing to do those Thrall all doors for Randy if you're
          hesitant to tackle it, but you ought to give it a shot because it
          is very, very easy. The decals you'll need are Herald King brand
          set #B-1660. You can order them from Miller Advertising, 1627
          Lilac Drive, Manitowoc, Wisc 54220. Glenn at the little train store
          in Scotia that people have been talking about here also carries
          them. It's a yellow Delaware Otsego box car decal set with FJG
          reporting marks. As far as paint, there's a dead nuts DO blue
          readily available without you having to do mixing and airbrushing.
          Go to a True Value hardware store and get a can on Tru-Test "Easy
          Color" decorative enamel "Cornflower Blue." The can identifies
          it as colorcode #ECS-32 and item number #792 617. Before you paint,
          spray the car with sandable primer and then lightly sandpaper the
          original lettering. Do this a couple of times until the original
          lettering is smoothed over and obliterated. Otherwise, it's
          imprint will show through on your finished product. Lastly, once
          you've applied your decals and they've dried, lightly spray the
          car with a coat of Testor's Dullcoat or Glosscoat (depending on
          whether you want a shiny or dull finish) and the decal edge lines
          will disappear ( and the decals won't scratch off later when the
          car is used). ---Andy Fusco, 52 South Street, Auburn, NY 13021.
        • Tim Germain
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 6, 2000
            Andy, thanks for the information. I'll give it a try. Now to get
            the car done for Randy before May.

            What rolling stock did the FJG own? Is there a list printed anywhere
            that I can consult?

            Last question for now, if any of you know of a copy of Dave Nestle's
            book Steam and Trolley Days... that is for sale please let me know.
            I've been trying the internet at various places and haven't found one
            yet. Actually I did find one copy, but it was sold the day before I
            was able to contact them.

            Tim