Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Gr. Am. Train Stores

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
      I lived in Schenectady and I never visited either store. I see
      there's a new train store in Latham and I want to check it out!
      I used to go to the place in Ballston Spa, but she went out of
      business!

      Gino
      > From: "Randy & Lorraine Decker" <rldecker@...>
      > Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 18:49:36 -0400
      > To: <FJGRailroad@egroups.com>
      > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Gr. Am. Train Stores
      >
      > Gino Both of the stores that sell Model RR items are worth the trip The
      > Mohawk Valley store is larger and they do have a nice selection of books,
      > often old out of print books as well? and they have a good selection of
      > scale railroad supplies as well as a section for the kids ! He used to
      > have the most impressive case full of Brass engines in this area but I think
      > much of this has been sold? There was a beautiful 1/2 " scale big boy
      > there the other store is in Scotia in the small complex just across
      > where rt. 50 meets rt. 5 this guy has lots of old magazines and kits as
      > well he also has a rack of photo's lots of NYC & D&H some short lines in NYS
      > stuff worth the trip!

    • Randy & Lorraine Decker
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
        Gino I have never been in the place but there is a little train shop in
        someone's basement on rt. 29 just out of Saratoga headed toward Schylerville
        on the right about three miles out?? and don't forget the great train
        show at the egg each year I think it is always the first week in December?
        Another note I recently went to the once a year event at the Adirondack
        Live Steamers in Saratoga !!! Wow Beautiful 1-1/2 scale Hudson!!! I
        rode around with my Daughters (who want me to join so they can run a train
        themselves!) I have to say 7-1/4 " gauge is impressive to say the least
        and LIVE STEAM to boot! Great time I think I will stick with the Hon3
        for now though?
        Another note the Box Car is coming along nicely we have the walls done and
        the lighting and the layout will commence this week I will be contacting
        Glen at the railway station in Scotia for some supplies and kits for this
        project I could use a little help?? Maybe through the winter if anyone is
        game I could send a small kit or materials for a scratch building project
        to some of the model railroaders on the list???? I plan to place a plaque
        with names of those who contribute time and much needed talent to get this
        project going with me I am going to build the high bridge as my first
        project It will be the first bridge the FJ&G will encounter on the layout
        Any suggestions as to what materials I will need?? I know I can find them
        right in the Walthers catalogue also the steel truss bridge at Cranberry
        Creek This is a kit if I am not mistaken and should be easily built with
        the plaque on top from 1897?? From there it will be a matter of building
        the Stations and placing them in there respective places on the layout once
        they are completed?? this will take some time but as long as there is some
        construction being done I think all will fly for this great public
        attraction in honor of the FJ&G !! no pressure here I realize we all are
        busy and these kits can be time consuming pick a project and let me know
        if there is anyone interested? Thanks again Randy
        > I lived in Schenectady and I never visited either store. I see
        > there's a new train store in Latham and I want to check it out!
        > I used to go to the place in Ballston Spa, but she went out of
        > business!
        >
        > Gino
        > > From: "Randy & Lorraine Decker" <rldecker@...>
        > > Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 18:49:36 -0400
        > > To: <FJGRailroad@egroups.com>
        > > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Gr. Am. Train Stores
        > >
        > > Gino Both of the stores that sell Model RR items are worth the trip
        The
        > > Mohawk Valley store is larger and they do have a nice selection of
        books,
        > > often old out of print books as well? and they have a good selection of
        > > scale railroad supplies as well as a section for the kids ! He used
        > > have the most impressive case full of Brass engines in this area but I
        think
        > > much of this has been sold? There was a beautiful 1/2 " scale big boy
        > > there the other store is in Scotia in the small complex just across
        > > where rt. 50 meets rt. 5 this guy has lots of old magazines and kits
        as
        > > well he also has a rack of photo's lots of NYC & D&H some short lines in
        NYS
        > > stuff worth the trip!

      • Gino DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 3, 2000
          Yes Randy, I've seen that little store outside of Schylerville. I've
          gone there twice and they were closed for vacation both times...