Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Gr. Am. Train Stores

  • Randy & Lorraine Decker
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
      Gino Both of the stores that sell Model RR items are worth the trip The
      Mohawk Valley store is larger and they do have a nice selection of books,
      often old out of print books as well? and they have a good selection of
      scale railroad supplies as well as a section for the kids ! He used to
      have the most impressive case full of Brass engines in this area but I think
      much of this has been sold? There was a beautiful 1/2 " scale big boy
      there the other store is in Scotia in the small complex just across
      where rt. 50 meets rt. 5 this guy has lots of old magazines and kits as
      well he also has a rack of photo's lots of NYC & D&H some short lines in NYS
      stuff worth the trip!
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
        Saul, one thing the GTS didn't offer was a discount. They were
        a little bit expensive, but you are right. They were a mainstream
        outlet to everyday people. It's too bad, I loved that store!

        Gino

        > From: "Saul Kalbfeld" <skalbfel@...>
        > Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 20:29:18 -0000
        > To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com
        > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Gr. Am. Train Stores
        >
        > The entire chain went out of business. There was a store here in
        > Somerset Mall. It was great for attracting new people to trains and
        > model railroading, but the stock wasn't deep enough for established
        > modelers. It's a tough and competitive business. The train shows I go
        > to in this area have several large travelling dealers who bring in
        > the equivalent of an entire store for a day and sell everything at a
        > deep discount.
        >
        > Saul

        > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

      • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
          I've been to Syracuse, Buffalo and Albany and all 3 stores are out
          of business. I actually noticed Buffalo and Syracuse first and
          hops the Albany store was still there. No such luck Glenn, she's
          gone...

          > From: "Glenn Williams" <103424.2304@...>
          > Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 22:45:04 -0000
          > To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com
          > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Gr. Am. Train Stores
          >
          > --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, psefton@c... wrote:
          >> I think there's still one at Union Station in Washington, DC. May
          >> have survived the parent.
          >
          > Sorry to report that the Union Station store was long gone when I
          > changed trains there at the end of July.
          >
          > The one at the Crossgates Mall in Guilderland had a good selection of
          > books and lots of copies of most of the major railroad magazines,
          > model and prototype.
          >
          > Glenn

          > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

        • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
            I lived in Schenectady and I never visited either store. I see
            there's a new train store in Latham and I want to check it out!
            I used to go to the place in Ballston Spa, but she went out of
            business!

            Gino
            > From: "Randy & Lorraine Decker" <rldecker@...>
            > Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 18:49:36 -0400
            > To: <FJGRailroad@egroups.com>
            > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Gr. Am. Train Stores
            >
            > Gino Both of the stores that sell Model RR items are worth the trip The
            > Mohawk Valley store is larger and they do have a nice selection of books,
            > often old out of print books as well? and they have a good selection of
            > scale railroad supplies as well as a section for the kids ! He used to
            > have the most impressive case full of Brass engines in this area but I think
            > much of this has been sold? There was a beautiful 1/2 " scale big boy
            > there the other store is in Scotia in the small complex just across
            > where rt. 50 meets rt. 5 this guy has lots of old magazines and kits as
            > well he also has a rack of photo's lots of NYC & D&H some short lines in NYS
            > stuff worth the trip!

          • Randy & Lorraine Decker
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
              Gino I have never been in the place but there is a little train shop in
              someone's basement on rt. 29 just out of Saratoga headed toward Schylerville
              on the right about three miles out?? and don't forget the great train
              show at the egg each year I think it is always the first week in December?
              Another note I recently went to the once a year event at the Adirondack
              Live Steamers in Saratoga !!! Wow Beautiful 1-1/2 scale Hudson!!! I
              rode around with my Daughters (who want me to join so they can run a train
              themselves!) I have to say 7-1/4 " gauge is impressive to say the least
              and LIVE STEAM to boot! Great time I think I will stick with the Hon3
              for now though?
              Another note the Box Car is coming along nicely we have the walls done and
              the lighting and the layout will commence this week I will be contacting
              Glen at the railway station in Scotia for some supplies and kits for this
              project I could use a little help?? Maybe through the winter if anyone is
              game I could send a small kit or materials for a scratch building project
              to some of the model railroaders on the list???? I plan to place a plaque
              with names of those who contribute time and much needed talent to get this
              project going with me I am going to build the high bridge as my first
              project It will be the first bridge the FJ&G will encounter on the layout
              Any suggestions as to what materials I will need?? I know I can find them
              right in the Walthers catalogue also the steel truss bridge at Cranberry
              Creek This is a kit if I am not mistaken and should be easily built with
              the plaque on top from 1897?? From there it will be a matter of building
              the Stations and placing them in there respective places on the layout once
              they are completed?? this will take some time but as long as there is some
              construction being done I think all will fly for this great public
              attraction in honor of the FJ&G !! no pressure here I realize we all are
              busy and these kits can be time consuming pick a project and let me know
              if there is anyone interested? Thanks again Randy
              > I lived in Schenectady and I never visited either store. I see
              > there's a new train store in Latham and I want to check it out!
              > I used to go to the place in Ballston Spa, but she went out of
              > business!
              >
              > Gino
              > > From: "Randy & Lorraine Decker" <rldecker@...>
              > > Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 18:49:36 -0400
              > > To: <FJGRailroad@egroups.com>
              > > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Gr. Am. Train Stores
              > >
              > > Gino Both of the stores that sell Model RR items are worth the trip
              The
              > > Mohawk Valley store is larger and they do have a nice selection of
              books,
              > > often old out of print books as well? and they have a good selection of
              > > scale railroad supplies as well as a section for the kids ! He used
              > > have the most impressive case full of Brass engines in this area but I
              think
              > > much of this has been sold? There was a beautiful 1/2 " scale big boy
              > > there the other store is in Scotia in the small complex just across
              > > where rt. 50 meets rt. 5 this guy has lots of old magazines and kits
              as
              > > well he also has a rack of photo's lots of NYC & D&H some short lines in
              NYS
              > > stuff worth the trip!

            • Gino DiCarlo
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 3, 2000
                Yes Randy, I've seen that little store outside of Schylerville. I've
                gone there twice and they were closed for vacation both times...