Gr. Am. Train Stores

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
      The entire chain went out of business. There was a store here in
      Somerset Mall. It was great for attracting new people to trains and
      model railroading, but the stock wasn't deep enough for established
      modelers. It's a tough and competitive business. The train shows I go
      to in this area have several large travelling dealers who bring in
      the equivalent of an entire store for a day and sell everything at a
      deep discount.

      Saul
    • psefton@crosslink.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
        I think there's still one at Union Station in Washington, DC. May have
        survived the parent.

        > The entire chain went out of business. There was a store here in
        > Somerset Mall. It was great for attracting new people to trains and
        > model railroading, but the stock wasn't deep enough for established
        > modelers. It's a tough and competitive business. The train shows I go
        > to in this area have several large travelling dealers who bring in
        > the equivalent of an entire store for a day and sell everything at a
        > deep discount.
        >
        > Saul

        http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

      • Glenn Williams
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
          --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, psefton@c... wrote:
          > I think there's still one at Union Station in Washington, DC. May
          > have survived the parent.

          Sorry to report that the Union Station store was long gone when I
          changed trains there at the end of July.

          The one at the Crossgates Mall in Guilderland had a good selection of
          books and lots of copies of most of the major railroad magazines,
          model and prototype.

          Glenn
        • Randy & Lorraine Decker
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
            Gino Both of the stores that sell Model RR items are worth the trip The
            Mohawk Valley store is larger and they do have a nice selection of books,
            often old out of print books as well? and they have a good selection of
            scale railroad supplies as well as a section for the kids ! He used to
            have the most impressive case full of Brass engines in this area but I think
            much of this has been sold? There was a beautiful 1/2 " scale big boy
            there the other store is in Scotia in the small complex just across
            where rt. 50 meets rt. 5 this guy has lots of old magazines and kits as
            well he also has a rack of photo's lots of NYC & D&H some short lines in NYS
            stuff worth the trip!
            > > I think there's still one at Union Station in Washington, DC. May
            > > have survived the parent.
            >
            > Sorry to report that the Union Station store was long gone when I
            > changed trains there at the end of July.
            >
            > The one at the Crossgates Mall in Guilderland had a good selection of
            > books and lots of copies of most of the major railroad magazines,
            > model and prototype.
            >
            > Glenn

            http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

          • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
              Saul, one thing the GTS didn't offer was a discount. They were
              a little bit expensive, but you are right. They were a mainstream
              outlet to everyday people. It's too bad, I loved that store!

              Gino

              > From: "Saul Kalbfeld" <skalbfel@...>
              > Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 20:29:18 -0000
              > To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com
              > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Gr. Am. Train Stores
              >
              > The entire chain went out of business. There was a store here in
              > Somerset Mall. It was great for attracting new people to trains and
              > model railroading, but the stock wasn't deep enough for established
              > modelers. It's a tough and competitive business. The train shows I go
              > to in this area have several large travelling dealers who bring in
              > the equivalent of an entire store for a day and sell everything at a
              > deep discount.
              >
              > Saul

              > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

            • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
                I've been to Syracuse, Buffalo and Albany and all 3 stores are out
                of business. I actually noticed Buffalo and Syracuse first and
                hops the Albany store was still there. No such luck Glenn, she's
                gone...

                > From: "Glenn Williams" <103424.2304@...>
                > Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 22:45:04 -0000
                > To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com
                > Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: Gr. Am. Train Stores
                >
                > --- In FJGRailroad@egroups.com, psefton@c... wrote:
                >> I think there's still one at Union Station in Washington, DC. May
                >> have survived the parent.
                >
                > Sorry to report that the Union Station store was long gone when I
                > changed trains there at the end of July.
                >
                > The one at the Crossgates Mall in Guilderland had a good selection of
                > books and lots of copies of most of the major railroad magazines,
                > model and prototype.
                >
                > Glenn

                > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

              • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
                  I lived in Schenectady and I never visited either store. I see
                  there's a new train store in Latham and I want to check it out!
                  I used to go to the place in Ballston Spa, but she went out of
                  business!

                  Gino
                  > From: "Randy & Lorraine Decker" <rldecker@...>
                  > Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 18:49:36 -0400
                  > To: <FJGRailroad@egroups.com>
                  > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Gr. Am. Train Stores
                  >
                  > Gino Both of the stores that sell Model RR items are worth the trip The
                  > Mohawk Valley store is larger and they do have a nice selection of books,
                  > often old out of print books as well? and they have a good selection of
                  > scale railroad supplies as well as a section for the kids ! He used to
                  > have the most impressive case full of Brass engines in this area but I think
                  > much of this has been sold? There was a beautiful 1/2 " scale big boy
                  > there the other store is in Scotia in the small complex just across
                  > where rt. 50 meets rt. 5 this guy has lots of old magazines and kits as
                  > well he also has a rack of photo's lots of NYC & D&H some short lines in NYS
                  > stuff worth the trip!

                • Randy & Lorraine Decker
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2000
                    Gino I have never been in the place but there is a little train shop in
                    someone's basement on rt. 29 just out of Saratoga headed toward Schylerville
                    on the right about three miles out?? and don't forget the great train
                    show at the egg each year I think it is always the first week in December?
                    Another note I recently went to the once a year event at the Adirondack
                    Live Steamers in Saratoga !!! Wow Beautiful 1-1/2 scale Hudson!!! I
                    rode around with my Daughters (who want me to join so they can run a train
                    themselves!) I have to say 7-1/4 " gauge is impressive to say the least
                    and LIVE STEAM to boot! Great time I think I will stick with the Hon3
                    for now though?
                    Another note the Box Car is coming along nicely we have the walls done and
                    the lighting and the layout will commence this week I will be contacting
                    Glen at the railway station in Scotia for some supplies and kits for this
                    project I could use a little help?? Maybe through the winter if anyone is
                    game I could send a small kit or materials for a scratch building project
                    to some of the model railroaders on the list???? I plan to place a plaque
                    with names of those who contribute time and much needed talent to get this
                    project going with me I am going to build the high bridge as my first
                    project It will be the first bridge the FJ&G will encounter on the layout
                    Any suggestions as to what materials I will need?? I know I can find them
                    right in the Walthers catalogue also the steel truss bridge at Cranberry
                    Creek This is a kit if I am not mistaken and should be easily built with
                    the plaque on top from 1897?? From there it will be a matter of building
                    the Stations and placing them in there respective places on the layout once
                    they are completed?? this will take some time but as long as there is some
                    construction being done I think all will fly for this great public
                    attraction in honor of the FJ&G !! no pressure here I realize we all are
                    busy and these kits can be time consuming pick a project and let me know
                    if there is anyone interested? Thanks again Randy
                    > I lived in Schenectady and I never visited either store. I see
                    > there's a new train store in Latham and I want to check it out!
                    > I used to go to the place in Ballston Spa, but she went out of
                    > business!
                    >
                    > Gino
                    > > From: "Randy & Lorraine Decker" <rldecker@...>
                    > > Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 18:49:36 -0400
                    > > To: <FJGRailroad@egroups.com>
                    > > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Re: Gr. Am. Train Stores
                    > >
                    > > Gino Both of the stores that sell Model RR items are worth the trip
                    The
                    > > Mohawk Valley store is larger and they do have a nice selection of
                    books,
                    > > often old out of print books as well? and they have a good selection of
                    > > scale railroad supplies as well as a section for the kids ! He used
                    > > have the most impressive case full of Brass engines in this area but I
                    think
                    > > much of this has been sold? There was a beautiful 1/2 " scale big boy
                    > > there the other store is in Scotia in the small complex just across
                    > > where rt. 50 meets rt. 5 this guy has lots of old magazines and kits
                    as
                    > > well he also has a rack of photo's lots of NYC & D&H some short lines in
                    NYS
                    > > stuff worth the trip!

                  • Gino DiCarlo
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 3, 2000
                      Yes Randy, I've seen that little store outside of Schylerville. I've
                      gone there twice and they were closed for vacation both times...