"The Bridge"

  • Saul Kalbfeld
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2000
      I know we are straying from the subject, but I have to say I really
      like bridges. They are man's most noble engineering feats, going back
      to Roman times. There is nothing more inspiring than seeing a
      graceful arch bridge from a distance. There is little style and grace
      in the current Batchellorville Bridge. It was built on the cheap with
      scarce
      Depression era dollars. The grade on the west side is pretty steep
      but to ease it would be a major project. I hope you are not all mad
      at
      me.This opposition is a non-starter. The lake area needs to be a
      little more like the Lake George area. Whatever is built, the bridge
      needs at least one walkway with a railing. Incidently, I really
      dislike the current Northville bridge. The old one should have been
      saved.
      That classic 3 span (Pennsylvania?)truss bridge had far more style
      than the Batchellorville bridge. When I think of
      Sacandaga and Northville I still see the old bridge in my mind's eye.
      Regards,
      Saul
    • Gino DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2000
        Why would we be mad at you Saul? I love bridges too!

        Gino

        > From: Saul Kalbfeld <skalbfel@...>
        > Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 03:21:22 +0000
        > To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com
        > Subject: [FJGRailroad] "The Bridge"
        >
        > I know we are straying from the subject, but I have to say I really
        > like bridges. They are man's most noble engineering feats, going back
        > to Roman times. There is nothing more inspiring than seeing a
        > graceful arch bridge from a distance. There is little style and grace
        > in the current Batchellorville Bridge. It was built on the cheap with
        > scarce
        > Depression era dollars. The grade on the west side is pretty steep
        > but to ease it would be a major project. I hope you are not all mad
        > at
        > me.This opposition is a non-starter. The lake area needs to be a
        > little more like the Lake George area. Whatever is built, the bridge
        > needs at least one walkway with a railing. Incidently, I really
        > dislike the current Northville bridge. The old one should have been
        > saved.
        > That classic 3 span (Pennsylvania?)truss bridge had far more style
        > than the Batchellorville bridge. When I think of
        > Sacandaga and Northville I still see the old bridge in my mind's eye.
        > Regards,
        > Saul

        > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

      • Randy & Lorraine Decker
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27, 2000
          I hope someones mad!! I want to see an argument!!

          > Why would we be mad at you Saul? I love bridges too!
          >
          > Gino
          >
          > > From: Saul Kalbfeld <skalbfel@...>
          > > Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 03:21:22 +0000
          > > To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com
          > > Subject: [FJGRailroad] "The Bridge"
          > >
          > > I know we are straying from the subject, but I have to say I really
          > > like bridges. They are man's most noble engineering feats, going back
          > > to Roman times. There is nothing more inspiring than seeing a
          > > graceful arch bridge from a distance. There is little style and grace
          > > in the current Batchellorville Bridge. It was built on the cheap with
          > > scarce
          > > Depression era dollars. The grade on the west side is pretty steep
          > > but to ease it would be a major project. I hope you are not all mad
          > > at
          > > me.This opposition is a non-starter. The lake area needs to be a
          > > little more like the Lake George area. Whatever is built, the bridge
          > > needs at least one walkway with a railing. Incidently, I really
          > > dislike the current Northville bridge. The old one should have been
          > > saved.
          > > That classic 3 span (Pennsylvania?)truss bridge had far more style
          > > than the Batchellorville bridge. When I think of
          > > Sacandaga and Northville I still see the old bridge in my mind's eye.
          > > Regards,
          > > Saul
          > >

          > > Visit Gino's F.J.G.R.R. Page at
          > > http://www.capital.net/~dicarlos/

          > > http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

          > > in New York State at
          > > http://ny.existingstations.com/

          http://www.trainweb.com/gcdra/

        • Randy & Lorraine Decker
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 27, 2000
            Ohh: kidding aside The community of Fishhouse is in the County of Fulton?
            This creates a problem for the highway department who still has to maintain
            this section of road although I am sure there is some deal worked out with
            Saratoga county for this maintenance in the winter?