Re: [FJGRailroad] Roland Bower's Letter to LH on 8/3/00

  • leedarshi
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 12, 2000
      What does NIMBY mean?

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
      To: <FJGRailroad@egroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, September 11, 2000 4:42 PM
      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Roland Bower's Letter to LH on 8/3/00
      > NIMBY. If a proposed trail was to be put adjacent to or through your
      > property, what position would you really take? Especially when you
      enjoy
      > the privacy of your pool, barbecue or sunbathing.
    • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 12, 2000
        Here's something I've always wondered about the FJG abandonment. Does
        abandonment mean that the rail carrier just leaves their railroad
        behind with no compensation or did the county buy the right of way?
        What did the DO get out of abandoning the FJG?

        Gino

        > From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
        > Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:42:44 EDT
        > To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Roland Bower's Letter to LH on 8/3/00
        >

        > There are a significant number of folks that don't favor bikepaths, rail
        > trails or whatever you choose to call the public acquisition of land that
        > was either purchased or usurped for a specific purpose, usually in the
        > private sector, then taken over by the public sector for another use from
        > which the folks obtain no benefit. Truthfully that's what bike paths are.
        > I've biked on several that were well maintained, lighted and patroled (some,
        > not all). But not to one of them did I contribute a cent of my tax dollar
        > (other than any federal or state money to construct the things) and I've
        > never seen one that charges a fee for use. This is a major issue. Another
        > obstacle is the idea of out of towners and undesirable locals wandering
        > through your "back yard".
        >
        > NIMBY. If a proposed trail was to be put adjacent to or through your
        > property, what position would you really take? Especially when you enjoy
        > the privacy of your pool, barbecue or sunbathing.
        >
        > Every rational point has a valid counterpoint.
        >
        > In the face of unequivocal revertion rights, for the location of Burlington
        > VT bike path, on the old Rutland roadbed, the desire of the city to use the
        > land for the bike path was sustained in court.
        >
        > In Vermont the bike path idea is a tourist attraction thing, and there are
        > some nice ones.
        >
        > PKL
      • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 12, 2000