Re: [FJGRailroad] Roland Bower's Letter to LH on 8/3/00

  • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 11, 2000
      Yeah I guess so! Hate is a little extreme. I meant, he really
      doesn't like the rail-trail!

      Gino

      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 11, 2000
        There are a significant number of folks that don't favor bikepaths, rail
        trails or whatever you choose to call the public acquisition of land that
        was either purchased or usurped for a specific purpose, usually in the
        private sector, then taken over by the public sector for another use from
        which the folks obtain no benefit. Truthfully that's what bike paths are.
        I've biked on several that were well maintained, lighted and patroled (some,
        not all). But not to one of them did I contribute a cent of my tax dollar
        (other than any federal or state money to construct the things) and I've
        never seen one that charges a fee for use. This is a major issue. Another
        obstacle is the idea of out of towners and undesirable locals wandering
        through your "back yard".

        NIMBY. If a proposed trail was to be put adjacent to or through your
        property, what position would you really take? Especially when you enjoy
        the privacy of your pool, barbecue or sunbathing.

        Every rational point has a valid counterpoint.

        In the face of unequivocal revertion rights, for the location of Burlington
        VT bike path, on the old Rutland roadbed, the desire of the city to use the
        land for the bike path was sustained in court.

        In Vermont the bike path idea is a tourist attraction thing, and there are
        some nice ones.

        PKL

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • leedarshi
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 12, 2000
          What does NIMBY mean?

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 12, 2000
            Here's something I've always wondered about the FJG abandonment. Does
            abandonment mean that the rail carrier just leaves their railroad
            behind with no compensation or did the county buy the right of way?
            What did the DO get out of abandoning the FJG?

            Gino

            > From: "paul larner" <pklarner@...>
            > Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 16:42:44 EDT
            > To: FJGRailroad@egroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Roland Bower's Letter to LH on 8/3/00
            >

            > There are a significant number of folks that don't favor bikepaths, rail
            > trails or whatever you choose to call the public acquisition of land that
            > was either purchased or usurped for a specific purpose, usually in the
            > private sector, then taken over by the public sector for another use from
            > which the folks obtain no benefit. Truthfully that's what bike paths are.
            > I've biked on several that were well maintained, lighted and patroled (some,
            > not all). But not to one of them did I contribute a cent of my tax dollar
            > (other than any federal or state money to construct the things) and I've
            > never seen one that charges a fee for use. This is a major issue. Another
            > obstacle is the idea of out of towners and undesirable locals wandering
            > through your "back yard".
            >
            > NIMBY. If a proposed trail was to be put adjacent to or through your
            > property, what position would you really take? Especially when you enjoy
            > the privacy of your pool, barbecue or sunbathing.
            >
            > Every rational point has a valid counterpoint.
            >
            > In the face of unequivocal revertion rights, for the location of Burlington
            > VT bike path, on the old Rutland roadbed, the desire of the city to use the
            > land for the bike path was sustained in court.
            >
            > In Vermont the bike path idea is a tourist attraction thing, and there are
            > some nice ones.
            >
            > PKL
          • Gino And Kelly DiCarlo
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 12, 2000